Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wierd cooking thing  (Read 479 times)

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
wierd cooking thing
« on: August 23, 2007, 01:54:00 pm »

I have a new fortress, and I've managed to gather enough plant material to brew some longland beer, which I tagged cookable.  Some of it was cooked, but then when I try to cook the remainder (of which it says I have 15 or so), it says 'needs 2 unrotten cookable items.'  [Edited to add:]  I also have some raw cave fish that could be cooked (about 10 total), and they're not getting counted either.

Any thoughts?

[Edit 2:  I abandoned the fortress, I was too frustrated, and it was early in the life cycle so I didn't lose much.  

[ August 23, 2007: Message edited by: hapes ]

Shador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: wierd cooking thing
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 02:39:00 pm »

Kitchens don't cook individual items, they cook stacks of items. You presumably have one barrel containing 15 units of longland beer. If, for example, you had one barrel with 5 units of beer, and one barrel with 10 units of beer, then you could cook them into one pile of 15 beer biscuits.
Also, raw fish are not cooked in the Kitchen. See Fishery information.

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 03:20:00 pm »

Aw, dang it, I knew about the fishery thing, and totally forgot.  Crap.

And as for the stack issue, I don't quite get it.  Maybe this is a misunderstanding of mine, but I would think the idea of cooking booze into food is simple:  You have booze, you cook it into food.  Not 'you have multiple stacks of booze which you can combine to cook into food'.  I think I see what you're getting at, as I think about it.  When it wants '2 units of unrotten cookable food', it means 2 stacks.  If we had 2 (or more) stacks of booze, it would work fine (which is what you said).  Is that what you're saying?

[edit:] As for making SURE you have multiple stacks, how do you go about that?

Mad Jackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 04:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by hapes:
<STRONG>Aw, dang it, I knew about the fishery thing, and totally forgot.  Crap.

And as for the stack issue, I don't quite get it.  Maybe this is a misunderstanding of mine, but I would think the idea of cooking booze into food is simple:  You have booze, you cook it into food.  Not 'you have multiple stacks of booze which you can combine to cook into food'.  I think I see what you're getting at, as I think about it.  When it wants '2 units of unrotten cookable food', it means 2 stacks.  If we had 2 (or more) stacks of booze, it would work fine (which is what you said).  Is that what you're saying?

[edit:] As for making SURE you have multiple stacks, how do you go about that?

[ August 23, 2007: Message edited by: hapes ]</STRONG>

Yes he is saying it must have two stacks.

I do not know of anyway to be sure you can create two stacks (other than using two stacks of plants and two brew commands at a still) - but you can check how many stacks your 15 alcohol is in via the "k" button. If you find a barrel with 15 units of the brew in it, then you've got just 1 "cookable item" out of the whole lot.

It isn't fun sometimes to "k" all over your food stockpiles hunting for the alcohol but it is made much much simpler if you have alochol only stockpiles and food only stockpiles. And you can also maybe follow guys who have drink commands active to let you know where the booze barrels are.

an''t catch me!