Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adding a layer of steel  (Read 2066 times)

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adding a layer of steel
« on: February 02, 2012, 08:27:41 am »

I'm trying to add a steel layer on top of skin, but while I know it would need a new BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:TISSUE_LAYERS with an extra argument for the extra layer, I'm having trouble just replacing the skin with steel.

Here are the changes I did to the basic CREATURE:HUMAN:

[TISSUE:ARMOR]
      [TISSUE_NAME:armor:armor]
      [TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:STEEL]
      [MUSCULAR]
      [FUNCTIONAL]
      [STRUCTURAL]
      [RELATIVE_THICKNESS:5]
      [CONNECTS]
      [TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]

[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUE_LAYERS:ARMOR:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]

Currently this results on them having no skin whatsoever. What should I do to fix this?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Adding a layer of steel
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 08:37:19 am »

[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]

[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:ARMOR]
      [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:UPPERBODY:ARMOR]
      [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:LOWERBODY:ARMOR]
      [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:UPPER_ARM:ARMOR]
      [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:LOWER_ARM:ARMOR]

look in the body_default.txt for external appenages or copy "BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUE_LAYERS" rename it, and give it one argument (arg#) and then call it after "BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUE_LAYERS" and then a layer will be added over skin for all BP's that armor is added to.

[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:ARMOR_TISSUE_LAYERS:ARMOR]

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That should work for everything that requires external coverings
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 08:44:18 am by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 08:55:30 am »

There is no STANDARD_TISSUE_LAYERS in the BODY_DETAIL_PLAN raws, at least in the vanilla game.  You want to use VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS instead.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 09:13:53 am »

There is no STANDARD_TISSUE_LAYERS in the BODY_DETAIL_PLAN raws, at least in the vanilla game.  You want to use VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS instead.
He could have created it, or used that as a quick and dirty Ref.
I know I am.
But I guess I should have cleared that up incase of new modders getting confused when they cannot find STANDARD_TISSUE_LAYERS.

But yes in the creature file place either option I mentioned above right after:
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 01:30:53 pm »

Thanks, I didn't even know you could add two body detail plans for the tissue layers! This looks like a very versatile way to armor more creatures too, if need arises.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 03:21:07 pm »

Isn't there also a way to directly add one tissue onto another?  Something to do with [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:FLUFF] (taken from my fluffball mod), perhaps?
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 03:43:13 pm »

Isn't there also a way to directly add one tissue onto another?  Something to do with [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:FLUFF] (taken from my fluffball mod), perhaps?

Bronze colossus seems to be made that way, but then it is completely made of bronze, eyes and all. Would it be possible to exclude parts layered by "ALL" to cover everything but spesific parts?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 05:30:12 pm »

See that adds the tissue over "ALL" BP's which means (Brain, Heart, Lungs, Spine, Guts, Skull, Etc..)

you have to think of [TISSUE_LAYER:...] as painting a wall. if you want a tissue under everything, Paint it first. Because every other tissue added after will cover it.

because the tag works like this

[TISSUE_LAYER:type:parameter1:parameter2]

type := BY_CATEGORY or BY_TOKEN

parameter1 (category) := selects a bodypart(s) by the category it is defined in like "ARM_UPPER" which is both RUA and LUA (right upper arm and left upper arm)
parameter1 (token) := selects a bodypart based on it's token like RH "Right Hand"

parameter2 := this is the tissue to add to the selected bodypart in "parameter1"

my notes that I copied from the wiki long ago say there is a location parameter "parameter3" which to me is only for really attention to detail things like eyelashes being on the front of an eyelid (cause having an eyelash in the eye hurts "in DF don't matter" this is a more of a extra thing that is unneeded)
Location Non-Arg are: FRONT, RIGHT, LEFT, TOP, BOTTOM.
Argument locations are AROUND and CLEANS

Also note this: the AROUND seems not to work on a BP defined as a UPPERBODY but the desired effect of having something around something is the same as just making it a LAYER (aka leave out "parameter3" as it's basically not important)

There is a TISSUE_LAYER_OVER and TISSUE_LAYER_UNDER (is helpful in the cases you want to just add something under the topmost layer "skin" from a body_detail_plan) the _OVER to me seems redunant (unless next version you can target a tissue layer)