Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: your dorf has died of dysentery (what i learned from Oregon trail)  (Read 2343 times)

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile

I feel like the next thing that should be added with the new interactions system is illnesses. As of now, the only form of illness is the infection that you might get i you leave an open wound unattended. So i suggest there be certain counters that set the possibility of you getting sick, and then recovering. For example, infants and the elderly will have lower immunity and higher chances of contracting a disease while people in their prime will have a lower chance of getting a disease and a higher immunity. this could also be tied to locations so that if you go into a swamp, you will probably get sick. whereas if you own a nice cabin on a mountaintop you will be healthier. This could keep the populations from getting out of control, and give adventurers the inventive to buy alcohol instead of drinking impure water. The last thing about illnesses is that they could be tied to certain body parts, so that you can eat bad food/drink bad water and get a stomach flu, as opposed to getting malaria in a jungle. The illnesses would definitely add more FUN to the game and also alot of realism. Once the basic system is in place, you could add a couple more creative diseases each update, similar to the way sponsorship creatures was handled. In th efuture of dwarf fortress you may get a message like "You have died of dysentery!"
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
Re: your dorf has died of dysentery (what i learned from Oregon trail)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 08:44:38 pm »

disease resistance is already in character generation, so it's probably coming at soem point
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 01:12:13 am »

Threadilanche! KROOOOOOWWGGH!
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 01:48:57 pm »

This would, in my opinion, combine very well with one of the other top suggestions.  Poop.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 02:13:57 pm »

illnesses... give adventurers the inventive to buy alcohol
I like this idea.  Anything to increase the odds of a better more adaptive economy is a boon, in and of itself.  I give this idea a thumbs up.  Not way up, mind you, because the honey trade needs some fixes, and has the way up thumb first. 

Bees should be raised underground, no bee needs sunlight.  They need warmth and pollen, which can be found underground, especially near magma.  They need to be called wingless bees or newts.  Dwarfs should be able to plot a Slug farm or Leech farm for improved medicine and flavoring complex foodstuff.  This Dwarf dependency on topside sunlight now and again, should only be a Human and Elf phenomenon.  Dwarfs in my opinion shouldn't be required to go above ground.  Cave adaption on a Dwarf, has always dumbfounded me.

I like the idea of dysentery, more if it also came as a punishment for a dirty dinning room.  Too many players drop critters onto their dining area, and allow corpses to rot in their dinning areas, in order to battle harden their Dwarfs.  There should be a penalty for miasma + foodstuff.  Dysentery is the perfect penalty.

I also like the idea of including the booze trade in the medicine zone.  Alcohol swabs are very important in sanitation.  And like the OP, I feel its overlooked in this fantasy simulator.  But that is another topic, from this.

Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.