Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: Online Piracy  (Read 27037 times)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Online Piracy
« Reply #150 on: February 05, 2012, 07:57:18 pm »

It's not that steams servers are crappy it's how torrents work deadmeat.

on a normal server you have one "band" that downloads to and from yoru computer. hence "bandwidth" on how much you can download at a time.

a torrent relies on multiple bands to downland one file. each band being seeded by another user. Hence why everyone wants you to seed when you torrent a file. becasue if there was only one band it would go just as slow as a regular download if not slower due to the fact your conencting through the other users ISP which could be anywhere from dialup to fiberoptic. with steams severs they have a corporate connection which almost guarantees more speed than an average user. The reason it's slow is becasue they give you a certain bandwidth so other people can download too.

What all this really means is, steams servers aren't really up to the job.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 05, 2012, 08:17:02 pm »

It ain't $1 per song where I come from.

The cheapest I EVER saw a song for on iTunes was $1.69.

Yeah, but aren't you in aus?
Standard price in America is ~1USD, 99 cents, more specifically, because that extra penny makes sooooooo much difference~

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 05, 2012, 08:52:17 pm »

Yeah.

The price of the American - Australian dollar is roughly at parity now anyway... so ideally we should be paying at most $1.10.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 05, 2012, 08:54:47 pm »

It is Australia, they always rip us off. No seriously, everything just costs more here because everything costs more so we don't have a choice. There is no cheaper competition to move to.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 05, 2012, 09:58:56 pm »

It's not that steams servers are crappy it's how torrents work deadmeat.

on a normal server you have one "band" that downloads to and from yoru computer. hence "bandwidth" on how much you can download at a time.

a torrent relies on multiple bands to downland one file. each band being seeded by another user. Hence why everyone wants you to seed when you torrent a file. becasue if there was only one band it would go just as slow as a regular download if not slower due to the fact your conencting through the other users ISP which could be anywhere from dialup to fiberoptic. with steams severs they have a corporate connection which almost guarantees more speed than an average user. The reason it's slow is becasue they give you a certain bandwidth so other people can download too.

What all this really means is, steams servers aren't really up to the job.
No, it doesn't, and no, they don't really cap it. It just means you happen to be far away and/or have a terrible connection to their servers. On RIT's internet, I get download speeds of at a bare minimum of 1 MB/s, usually around the 5MB/s to 7 MB/s range. That your speeds are lower is a result of you having lower quality internet service. The only reason a torrent would be faster would be due to the uploaders being more local, which is a fundamental problem of your connection, not Steam's servers.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 06, 2012, 03:57:05 pm »

A major torrent site, btjunkie, shut down voluntarily yesterday.  Their goodbye message makes me nervous.

This is the end of the line my friends. The decision does not come easy, but we've decided to voluntarily shut down. We've been fighting for years for your right to communicate, but it's time to move on. It's been an experience of a lifetime, we wish you all the best!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 06, 2012, 03:59:27 pm »

By the by if you install most games on a second computer your probably pirating.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 06, 2012, 04:17:54 pm »

and it seems with it pirate bay is becoming cockier as well moving to a .se domain so the US has no control over them.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #158 on: February 06, 2012, 04:33:07 pm »

By the by if you install most games on a second computer your probably pirating.

No you are not. You are using your game as you see fit. It is only copyright infringement if you create a copy and distribute copy to another person.

Creating copies of any type is not copyright infringement. Neither is distributing a game. Neither is creating copies that you destroy before distributing the one remaining copy to someone else.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2012, 04:38:00 pm »

No you are not. You are using your game as you see fit. It is only copyright infringement if you create a copy and distribute copy to another person.

Creating copies of any type is not copyright infringement. Neither is distributing a game. Neither is creating copies that you destroy before distributing the one remaining copy to someone else.

Read your EULA.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #160 on: February 06, 2012, 04:44:32 pm »

1: EULA's do not supersede copyright law.

2: Violating an EULA by itself is not copyright infringement.

3: IANAL but I seem to recall that contracts are only valid if they benefit both parties, and onerous terms of most EULA's make them invalid.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 06, 2012, 05:10:20 pm »

All torrent websites should move to .se

Cyber war is beginning! :P

BTW, check this out

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh yeah! A rallying speech!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:15:37 pm by Leatra »

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 06, 2012, 11:20:00 pm »

Anyone watch the Jimquisition? He provides a pretty straight forward (not to mention vulgar) arguments on the subject

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 06, 2012, 11:28:47 pm »

1: EULA's do not supersede copyright law.

2: Violating an EULA by itself is not copyright infringement.

3: IANAL but I seem to recall that contracts are only valid if they benefit both parties, and onerous terms of most EULA's make them invalid.

EULA is a clear indication of where this is all going. That is all I am saying.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 06, 2012, 11:33:24 pm »

Na, EULA's have been crazy for a long time, ever since the first software was developed.
It's where they would liketo go, but not necessarily where its going. I mean looking at SOPA, it had a good chance of passing, then in 1 day Wikipedia (and the rest of the web) shut it down cold.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13