Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Online Piracy  (Read 27089 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: Online Piracy
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2012, 03:22:13 pm »

Then what makes it any different than any other "unprotected" work? Where's the control group in this experiment?

It's not an experiment, an observation :P
An observation with nothing to back it up, considering there was no sales figure to compare it to. What did his sales "increase significantly" from?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2012, 03:25:39 pm »

An observation with nothing to back it up, considering there was no sales figure to compare it to. What did his sales "increase significantly" from?

I was hoping someone else would be able to tell me that as well :d

Vague writers are vague.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Piracy
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2012, 03:26:52 pm »

So rather your mind control then theirs? Copyright infringement is not the right words anymore then piracy.

Your point might have been valid long ago (apparently 400 years ago), but no longer. No one thinks they are connected even with the fact they have the same name. Are you really stating that we who use that word are both brainwashed by... someone (since words are invented just like that by anyone) and too stupid to separate the meanings?

How am I performing mind control? And how is copyright infringement not the right word? Especially no more right than piracy?

There is a difference between stupidity and ignorance, and a difference between ignorance and being intentionally misled.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2012, 03:29:52 pm »

Plus, 'Pirates' are popular; see Pirates of the Carribean, One Peice, Talk like a Pirate day, etc.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2012, 03:40:05 pm »

The article in the SA being published after his unprotected work was released, with no mention to piracy?

I have no idea what you mean?

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2012, 05:02:01 am »

Piracy hurts games sales.
Making shitty games hurts games sales more, and increases piracy.
Market response: Securom.
Rampant Piracy ensues.
GG.

Make games worth paying for, for a good price, and people buy them. Only the vast minority pirate EVERYTHING and never buy.
Game companys think they can dictate what price the market will bare, do a shoddy job and then expect piracy to decrease.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 05:06:58 am by Deadmeat1471 »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2012, 06:12:39 am »

Why is it that indie games are so successful?

Because they are in touch with the community. Because for the most part they have a very good business model.
The AAA games companies have lost their touch.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2012, 06:26:12 am »

Rampant Piracy ensues.
GG.

Make games worth paying for, for a good price, and people buy them. Only the vast minority pirate EVERYTHING and never buy.
Game companys think they can dictate what price the market will bare, do a shoddy job and then expect piracy to decrease.
Online Piracy --> Excuse to implement Online Activation and Always Online to control second hand sales and what people can and cannot do with their products. --> More Piracy

Once they payoff enough people to look away for long enough... 'no piracy' and total control of 'software licenses'.

Also... so true...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 06:29:19 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2012, 09:24:41 am »

Rampant Piracy ensues.
GG.

It is sort of what I say

Piracy doesn't hurt good games as much and great games even less.

The games that are hurt the most from piracy are the bad ones.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2012, 02:44:46 pm »

Piracy DOES hurt game sales, there's no doubt people are going to pirate triple A games even if there good. It's the matter of what does the game make the pirate do, if they like the game are they going to endorse the company people are smart and I'm sure someone that can hide themselves online with proxies and other tools would understand the concept of money the more a company has the more it can use to make more games. It's pirates like this that despite hurting the company come back to help, i have no plans to pirate Halflife ep:3 I intend to pre-order because i have that must trust in valve that there game will be good no matter the wait or new features. as compared to duke nukem even with the screen shots I've never played a duke nukem game nor Crysis I don't intend to try duke at all. I here 15 years of wait made it nothing but choppy and terrible, and apparently crysis 2 is getting bad reviews, i may find them online and try them before i buy. It's the matter of I want to make an educated choice before i buy. Just because others say it's "bad" does NOT mean I'm not going to like it myself, I liked loony toons sheep raider/ sheep dog wolf others hated it, i loved it and still play it.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2012, 02:53:52 pm »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2012, 02:57:38 pm »

Why is it that indie games are so successful?

Stop right there scum.

Lots of Indie games are terrible and fail. AAA games, by definition, do not. I would certainly say more indie games suck and die then AAA games.

Piracy DOES hurt game sales

Proof?

Really? As in. Ever?

How about spore? Just as a example. They had like a huge piracy rate. Even if they deserved it, that's still piracy hurting game sales.

World of goo had a 90% piracy rate at one point. This is not some shitty game put out by a giant uncaring company. It was a great game, and they went with no DRM for the same reason many people say there should be no DRM. And it looks like it might have bit them in the ass.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 03:03:35 pm by Criptfeind »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2012, 03:27:58 pm »

How about spore? Just as a example. They had like a huge piracy rate. Even if they deserved it, that's still piracy hurting game sales.
They had a huge piracy rate.  And also sold some 1,000,000 copies of the game.  More than enough to make a healthy profit.  If piracy did hurt their sales, it obviously didn't hurt their sales enough to make them lose money.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2012, 03:35:25 pm »

They had a huge piracy rate.  And also sold some 1,000,000 copies of the game.  More than enough to make a healthy profit.  If piracy did hurt their sales, it obviously didn't hurt their sales enough to make them lose money.

So?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13