Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heroic fighter dwarves are grumpuses  (Read 524 times)

Kepa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Heroic fighter dwarves are grumpuses
« on: September 12, 2006, 03:23:00 am »

Military heroes and legendary skill guards are a bunch of stubborn jerks.  There, I said it.

In one Dwarf Fortress game I got a bunch of swordmasters and a legendary axe dwarf.  They got to these positions by training as off-duty military and guards.  Then I was ready to fight the demons, so I tried to change them to military types so that I could  get them ready.

<Axey> I DUN WANNA MILITARY!  HEROES DO NOT WORK! (military assignment option doesn't even show up)

Same problem when I tried to make a swordmaster fortress guard into a royal guard, or a military master into a guard.  The military and guard assignments don't show up, because it says that heroes do not work.

It makes sense that you can't make a legendary axeman into a farmer.  It doesn't seem intentional that you can't make a guard into a military unit when you need to prepare for a big battle.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heroic fighter dwarves are grumpuses
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 03:29:00 am »

What about royal guards ? Why should a legendary axeman be a common guard, when he can be so much more...right ?

Kepa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 04:28:00 am »

That would make sense, if you could change legendary normal fortress guards into royal guards.  I think they're just accidentally too stubborn as a result of the bit that prevents them from being turned back into laborers.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 08:38:00 pm »

What if you have a legendary mason or somesuch that later becomes a legendary axedwarf?  It seems odd that a dwarf who is so good at something would suddenly stop doing it altogether just because they're now a military hero.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Kalle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 12:18:00 pm »

Another thing, since you can't even get to the menu, there is no way to assign a legendary warrior a couple of war dogs. At first I thought it also prevented changing his armor, but that seems to be doable fromt he military screen. In any case it would be nice to have those options back.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 04:36:00 pm »

I think this existed way back before pets or guards or anything like that and was just a mechanism for them to keep their favorite weapon.  It's out-moded now.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!