Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miners refusing to dig?  (Read 572 times)

tourettedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Miners refusing to dig?
« on: September 11, 2006, 08:52:00 pm »

I started a new game with the latest version, and made a sprint to get a farm set up on the far side of the river.  I saved, quit, and reloaded later, and now the miner won't dig out any of the areas I've designated, nor will anyone I assign the mining job to.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Miners refusing to dig?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 09:21:00 pm »

1) Use the V key to see wether or not the dwarf is on a break. Alternately, press J to see the jobs list; any dwarf that's "On Break" will not do any real job, but will rather wander the fort or mill around meeting halls, eat, sleep, drink, etc.

2) You may not have enough mining picks for all your miners. If three dwarves are assigned the mining job, and you only have 1 pick, you need to deselect two of the three dwarves, so that only one has mining enabled. (To modify what jobs dwarves do, press V-P-L, while the cursor is over a dwarf.)

Aside from those two things, the only other causes could be a miner that's become activated for the military, or is attempting to obtain a pickaxe to do the job. Dwarves who have mining activated get it turned off (or at least, drop their pick) when they're set to be "Unarmed" and activated for military duty... Maybe this happened?
Press M for the military screen, W for weapons, and select what weapons your miner can use. AXES for him to use his pick in battle.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Jason482

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 08:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mechanoid:
<STRONG>Dwarves who have mining activated get it turned off (or at least, drop their pick) when they're set to be "Unarmed" and activated for military duty... Maybe this happened?
Press M for the military screen, W for weapons, and select what weapons your miner can use. AXES for him to use his pick in battle.</STRONG>

I don't think this is true, is it? I tried setting my miners to fight with axe, and they had their mining jobs turned off. I went in and turned on mining again, only to see their weapon preference go back to unarmed?!? Can we get a clarification? I'd like my miners to fight with their picks, but I'm wondering if that's possible now.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 01:01:00 am »

trying turning everything but mining off?

pick is unarmed.. weapon preference doesn't last anyway.. it changes according to jobs (or item) your dwarves have been doing/having

mattg63

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 04:05:00 pm »

I have found that the mining option shuts off by itself sometimes. I had the same problem and noticed that none of my miners had mining highlighted but I never turned it off. Once I turned the option back on they went to work.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 04:45:00 pm »

Because you have to hold an object, mining and the weapon prefs fight with each other.  It needs some work, but right now it tries to keep them from stepping on each other.  There are also a few ways to violate that, which are bugs.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Seshat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 08:56:00 am »

Just bumping this to make the note that this bug still appears to be present in version 0.27.169.33b.

If it's not this bug, it's a bug which behaves the same. Sorry Toady.  :(

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 07:05:00 pm »

It might also be because there's no access to the Z-level you've designated. I often find this happens when starting a new fortress - your dwarves start high up on the mountain and there's no ramps leading down to the area where you want to dig. Try digging some down staircases into the ground on the level your miners are to see if they can do that.
Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

Densor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 10:44:00 pm »

Also, dwarves can't dig from the top of ramps.  You need to use staircases if you want to move up a level and dig.  Alternatively, you can rewall a place for your dwarves to next to the top of the ramp.

jmurph

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 10:24:00 am »

Seems to still happen in 33g.

Strangely, it doesn't just seem to be miners, after a while, my fort decided to ignore all designations (dig, tree, etc.). Seems that changing weapons clears mining, wood cutting, etc.

Don't know if this is a bug or just unexpected behavior.

[ January 03, 2008: Message edited by: jmurph ]

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 01:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by jmurph:
<STRONG>Seems that changing weapons clears mining, wood cutting, etc.

Don't know if this is a bug or just unexpected behavior.</STRONG>

Partly both.  Dwarves can only carry one item in their right hand:
Their assigned weapon
or a pick
or an axe