Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dear Armok NO!!!  (Read 1380 times)

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dear Armok NO!!!
« on: February 04, 2012, 03:38:01 pm »

Sooo... my Duchess has this thing for scepters, don't ask me why. Here's the thing, I have a Dwarven caravan is about two steps from leaving my map and the bia just declared a ban on exporting scepters... that caravan is carrying a number of scepters that far exceeds the total population of my fortress. Am I screwed? I'm screwed aren't I? Damn, I'll just have to sit back and watch as things go from steadily pleasant to FUN.

And in the past game year I've survived a bronze colossus, a giantess, two ambushes, and two back to back sieges... to be brought down by a ban on scepters... rrrgghhhheheheheheheh....

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dear Armok NO!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 04:32:14 pm »

Don't panick too much.
You could just off the noble (to save the fort)
you could seize the caravan ( they probably wont start a war for one incident. and sieges are fun anyways)
you could build cages and designate them as prisons (better than a hammer to the face, but still might drag down your economy a bit)
you could remove the captain of the guard
you could give the captain a wooden crossbow or training weapons. (don't recommend unarmed bc they can sometimes   often   only to your legandary scepter maker punch kill)
you could give evey one that doesn't get a hammer in the face some masterwork statues in their own personal gold plated bedrooms and prepare some fancy masterwork whipvine flour roasts... so the spiral doesn't get too far out of hand.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 04:34:53 pm »

Sooo... my Duchess has this thing for scepters, don't ask me why. Here's the thing, I have a Dwarven caravan is about two steps from leaving my map and the bia just declared a ban on exporting scepters... that caravan is carrying a number of scepters that far exceeds the total population of my fortress. Am I screwed? I'm screwed aren't I? Damn, I'll just have to sit back and watch as things go from steadily pleasant to FUN.

And in the past game year I've survived a bronze colossus, a giantess, two ambushes, and two back to back sieges... to be brought down by a ban on scepters... rrrgghhhheheheheheheh....

Removing the captain of the guard, probably after disbanding his squad, ought to make sure no one gets punished. The Duchess will be sad of course... but all she ever does is issuing mandates and attracting diplomats, and maybe those can speak to the King too, once he arrives.

You're lucky this isn't the new version yet, disabling the executive arm of the Justice system doesn't mean letting vampires run free ;)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 04:36:45 pm by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 04:56:32 pm »

You might not have any problems at all. Violating an export ban only punishes the person who brought the exported item to the depot. If the items were in a bin, the game doesn't know who brought the items within the bin to the depot, so nobody gets punished. In short, you can export the contents of bins without worry.

Of course, if you weren't keeping your crafts in bins for some reason, your whole fort might get marked for punishment, which would be... unfortunate.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 04:56:46 pm »

i couldn't seize the caravan, they were seriously at the very edge of the map when the mandate was ordered. So far I've 8 dead dwarves (including a grand master engraver, ouch) 6 incarcerated, and 8 hospitalized... only the mayor right now is tantruming, but that's to be expected, he's 13 years old.

Also in the midst of the chaos, I had a dwarf killed by a trap... he was in the captain of the guards squad, but I checked and he hadn't killed or beaten any other dwarves, and he wasn't listed as an enemy of the fortress, so how did that happen?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 05:01:10 pm »

i couldn't seize the caravan, they were seriously at the very edge of the map when the mandate was ordered. So far I've 8 dead dwarves (including a grand master engraver, ouch) 6 incarcerated, and 8 hospitalized... only the mayor right now is tantruming, but that's to be expected, he's 13 years old.

Also in the midst of the chaos, I had a dwarf killed by a trap... he was in the captain of the guards squad, but I checked and he hadn't killed or beaten any other dwarves, and he wasn't listed as an enemy of the fortress, so how did that happen?

Falling unconscious on a trap triggers it, regardless of anything else. IIRC falling asleep counts too.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 05:08:24 pm »

From what I understand, if a creature falls unconscious on a trap, it will trigger it regardless of how friendly the trap is. Common causes of unconscious states include sleeping, falling 1 z-level (or more, although the impact may prove more explosive thereafter), being caught in Giant Cave Spider webs, and being smashed in the head by blunt force.

It may be prudent to install a large jail if you have a justice system; wooden crossbows are often a favoured choice for the fortress guard as they are not quite as deadly in beatings but allow the squad to be effective in combat. Failing that, giving the fortress guard a nice, well-appointed barracks with a conveniently lockable door may avert some problems.

"Quickly! Urist McPeasant has exported 2 goose bone teacups!"

"But Sir, the door is locked! We cannot enforce justice!"

"Curses! Foiled by those crafty villains again. Hey, that's a really nice armour stand..."

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 05:35:27 pm »

Once, I had a weaver get kicked by a troll. The troll then ran into a cage trap. The weaver however "gave into pain" and was promptly cut to ribbons by a weapon trap with a single copper axe. it was constructed from a no quality mechanism. I think it took about 2 pages to finally kill him. I was very "WTF just happened?" bc by the time I noticed he was dead the troll was half way to the cage stockpile (~15z levels up) and it looked like he just decided it was a good idea to get in a fist fight with a weapon trap.
he was close to legendary...

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 06:00:33 pm »

Ok, the locking the squad in their quarters sounds like a convenient way to go, hehe except that a few of the squad members were perpetrators of the alleged 'crime', which is what I figured out happened to poor Urist and the weapon trap, he got bonked on the head by a fellow squad member while he was on patrol, conveniently atop a few springloaded menacing iron spikes.

Here's a question though, what takes priority for the squad? If I assign their barracks as a burrow and put them on alert to guard it? Or should I use the squad menu to order them to move to that location? Would either of those take precedent over their orders to enact 'justice'?

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 06:32:31 pm »

lol, oh, as if to add insult to injury, I just had about 10 pet wardogs drop dead from old age all at once. Of course, since my dwarves refuse to bury wardogs for some strange reason, this will only lead to their corpses rotting, and more upset dwarves.

Good thing that I've that dead Bronze Colossus standing in my dining area.

Also, good thing I've now got Giant Eagles and Grizzly Bears to replace those Wardogs. Thanks Elves! I knew you were good for something. I wonder if that not burying glitch only applies to dogs or any warcreature.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 11:11:32 pm »

Are your coffins set to accept pets?
If your worried about miasma, then just plop a refuse pile on the surface. Failing that, make a garbage dump zone and dump the corpses.
If your worried about unhappy thoughts from decaying pets then I dunno for sure. You could toss the corpses in lava so there's nothing to decay, and then build rock slab memorials. Though I don't think memorials are necessary for pets.

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 12:21:32 am »

yes, sorry, that issue has already been covered in another thread, errrmmmm... here

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 02:58:31 am »

ok, an issue i've noticed as i watched my medical staff go to work... I have a dwarf with a broken foot, she's in the hospital but no one ever came around to diagnose her while she was resting. Now she's awake and no one seems to pay her any mind. She's starving, dehydrated and drowsy, but can't go anywhere due to her foot being broken. Do medical dwarves only work on dwarves who are 'resting'? Why did this chick wake up when she was still injured? Why won't anyone bring her food or water?