Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tips on building an adventure fortress?  (Read 888 times)

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
Tips on building an adventure fortress?
« on: January 29, 2012, 09:13:43 pm »

So i recently found a spot on my current map that would be IDEAL for the entry to...SOMETHING.  So i figured i'd take all my useless artifacts and unused weapon trap parts and create an adventure mode fortress.  However i need ideas on not only how to set it up, but also on how to ensure the artifacts no only go where i'd like them to go, but also STAY there when i abandon it and attempt to recover them.

I wan't an indiana jones style fortress.  I'm thinking something along the lines of Raiders of the Lost Arc.  Hidden razor discs, giant axes, a maze, syndrom pools, etc.
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Squidpalace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tips on building an adventure fortress?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 10:16:13 pm »

Wait a couple of days for the next release, which will make this much, much easier.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 10:17:36 pm »

If you're planning to make traps trigger in adventure mode, make sure not to build any cage traps since you can't get out of these.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 10:22:29 pm »

Wait a couple of days for the next release, which will make this much, much easier.

but will it work with my current world / fortress?

My main question is: "How do i ensure the artifacts go and stay where i want them"

And, what are some creative puzzles/traps etc. to put in the fortress?  My friend will be trying to raid it and i want it to be almost like an old school zelda level w/ and indiana jones feel to it.
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 10:39:21 pm »

but will it work with my current world / fortress?

My main question is: "How do i ensure the artifacts go and stay where i want them"

And, what are some creative puzzles/traps etc. to put in the fortress?  My friend will be trying to raid it and i want it to be almost like an old school zelda level w/ and indiana jones feel to it.
The next version will almost certainly break compatibility, so no. But it's also supposed to tone down item scatter (I think), so it's up to you if you want to wait or not.

The only way I know of to keep something in place is to have it as part of or inside a building (I learned this when all my stone blocks stayed put in my mason's shop after goblins killed me).
So, once the artifact is created forbid it before it gets removed from the shop.

As for trap design, I suggest setting up your fortress as a linear series of rooms going downward towards the magma sea. You can wall off the extentions that your dwarves live in before you abandon, so the adventurer will only see the "interesting" parts that you want them to.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 11:01:37 pm »

to clarify im building a SEPERERATE SECOND fortress near my current fortress (same map) so i don't have to take berooms etc. into consideration.  Also, what about already existing artifacts? can i put them into chests of some sort?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 11:26:58 pm »

Artifacts that are in bins will stay in them, but bins that haven't been built as furniture will scatter like all loose items.
I'm not sure if bins that contain items can be built, but you could test this yourself.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 12:25:49 am »

is "building bins and barrels" a new feature? Cause i don't see that option anywhere

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 01:19:19 am »

Bins and bags, called containers in the [b]uild menu.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 02:01:26 pm »

Artifacts not in buildings also get dissolved into nothingness. I'm afraid unless you do what FurryZergling has mentioned, have downloaded the Display case mod or something just as nifty, your artifacts will all go poof. Unless they're in weapon traps. Those stay even after abandonment.
So unfortunately Adventurers will not be able to take artefacts :(

Why not, you know, just have a stairway to HFS...? :D

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 08:53:37 pm »

some my artifact weapons and armor in my previous forts are all gone now? D:

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 08:54:20 pm »

i always thought artifacts are imortalized somehow.  At least...imortalized in the legends or something like that.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 01:00:26 pm »

I don't think lead bins scatter.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 01:07:01 pm »

I don't think lead bins scatter.
I believe the rule is that in general the hazier something is the less likely it is to scatter. If you really want to build an adventure fortress then you should use DF Hack's (or at least it's one of those utilities) lair tool to classify your fortress as a lair. This will ensure that none of the items move anywhere when you abandon the fortress, allowing you to make a secret vault that holds all of your artifacts or other rewards for adventurers.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 01:09:44 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.