Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Items disappearing after water flows onto them?  (Read 817 times)

InsaneRationalist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Items disappearing after water flows onto them?
« on: February 01, 2012, 03:40:22 pm »

I was trying to make a dwarven conveyor belt and testing it with a piece of cloth:
Code: [Select]
#########
##º+++++≡
#+#######
#+%%.#
###
Now the cloth seems to have dissapeared.
It is still visible on the z-stocks screen, but when I zoom to it (it hasn't moved), it does not appear in the k menu, and the tile appears empty (displays a '+').

What is going on? And how do I get water to push things around properly?

(version 31.25)
Dwarf Fortress: where an exploding unicorn death factory is a goal unto itself.
If it has cute cuddly features, it's probably safe to eat, so do not reason with it either.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Items disappearing after water flows onto them?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 03:48:10 pm »

The water is pushing the item around properly, the problem is just that the part of the game that actually displays the item gets messed up. When the dwarves go to pick the item up, they will walk to where the item should be (at the end of the conveyor belt) and magically pull the item out of thin air. So don't freak out that your items are disappearing; they are still there, just invisible.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

InsaneRationalist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 03:53:16 pm »

and magically pull the item out of thin air. [...] they are still there, just invisible.

... I am not sure whether to be annoyed or amused by that; thanks!
If it has cute cuddly features, it's probably safe to eat, so do not reason with it either.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 03:54:29 pm »

When items are pushed by water, they sometimes get pushed into a sort of limbo state.  The item is still accessible in the location where the stocks screen zooms to, and a dwarf who goes to that space can still grab the item and pull it back out of limbo, but the item will no longer show up on the screen and no longer interacts with fluid flow.  Thus, items pushed around by water will eventually go into limbo and not be pushed by water anymore.  Because of this bug it is impossible to use a water to make a conveyer belt.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

InsaneRationalist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 04:01:34 pm »

Ah, I guess I am back to drop shafts and haulers then.