Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farming Question  (Read 1138 times)

Einarr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Farming Question
« on: January 29, 2012, 11:28:31 pm »

Sorry, I'm REALLY new to this game, and I'm having a bit of trouble starting off with farming. I built a plot (aboveground) and I have seeds to plant, but when I set one of them to be planted during spring (and its spring now, btw), the dwarf who I have set for a Field Farming labor preference doesn't do anything. Is this because I need to set the seeds to be planted during a season before I actually get to that season, or am I doing something else wrong? Sorry if someone else already asked this, I just don't really feel up to searching a forum this large. :D Thanks for any answers in advance!

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farming Question
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 11:33:12 pm »

There is a division between above-ground and below-ground crops.  All native dwarven crops (ones that you can bring with you on embark) are below-ground, meaning your above-ground farm plots won't work.

Either make farm plots below ground that your dwarves can use, or you can gather above-ground plants and use the seeds from those to plant in your above-ground farm plots.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Einarr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 11:47:42 pm »

There is a division between above-ground and below-ground crops.  All native dwarven crops (ones that you can bring with you on embark) are below-ground, meaning your above-ground farm plots won't work.

Either make farm plots below ground that your dwarves can use, or you can gather above-ground plants and use the seeds from those to plant in your above-ground farm plots.
I'm aware of that, as I've read up a bunch of tutorials and some of the wiki. I'm fairly sure the seeds I used were gathered above ground, though I'll make sure to check asap.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 11:54:55 pm »

What are you trying to plant?
Are you on a mountain?

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 11:58:07 pm »

Surface crops are similar to subsurface, with being seasonal. I think strawberries can be planted year round
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Einarr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 12:03:38 am »

Surface crops are similar to subsurface, with being seasonal. I think strawberries can be planted year round
That could be it... I'll make sure to check the wiki.

EDIT: No, I was trying to plant rat weed, and that seems to grow fine all year... Can someone just give me a step-by-step of how they farm?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 12:07:20 am by Einarr »

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 12:09:34 am »

I'm aware of that, as I've read up a bunch of tutorials and some of the wiki. I'm fairly sure the seeds I used were gathered above ground, though I'll make sure to check asap.
There's a bug currently where you have to "use" some of the above-ground crops you gather before your farmers will plant any of it.  The simple way to remedy this is to order your brewers to make some booze out of it, which itself will produce some seeds.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Einarr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 12:11:42 am »

There's a bug currently where you have to "use" some of the above-ground crops you gather before your farmers will plant any of it.  The simple way to remedy this is to order your brewers to make some booze out of it, which itself will produce some seeds.
Problem is, don't you need a finished crop too make booze? And I only have seeds... Anyway, good night to any NAs out there, I'm going to sleep. I'll make sure to read up on any and all posts tomorrow.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 05:07:37 am »

hope the next caravan brings some sewer brew. if you buy it, it will count as a finished product and you can start planting the seeds. Alternatively, gather more untill you have a full grown rat weed, possibly brew it and you should be fine
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Einarr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 10:51:01 am »

Actually, could it be that I don't have enough seeds to plant? I have like a 5x5 farm plot, so that could be possible...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 01:35:32 pm »

if you have 1 seed they'll just plant one seed, no matter the plot size
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 01:39:50 pm »

Is this because I need to set the seeds to be planted during a season before I actually get to that season, or am I doing something else wrong? Sorry if someone else already asked this, I just don't really feel up to searching a forum this large. :D Thanks for any answers in advance!

Bingo. Set them to be planted before the season change ;)

Also, tip, don't set different crops to be grown in consecutive seasons on the same plot, otherwise plants not grown from the previous season wither and die. Unless, you know, you like inefficiency >:£

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 06:55:40 pm »

Also, tip, don't set different crops to be grown in consecutive seasons on the same plot, otherwise plants not grown from the previous season wither and die. Unless, you know, you like inefficiency >:£

That's not true.  Planted seeds only vanish from a farm plot at a season change if they aren't allowed to grow in the new season.  That check is performed immediately after the season change, not during it (i.e. if you have seasonal autosave with pause set up, the seeds will be there while you're still paused after the save completes, but as soon as you unpause, *poof* -- gone).

Planted seeds that can grow in the new season will grow to maturity.  Any plant that grows to maturity can be harvested, as long as there's a food stockpile accepting that kind of plant with enough space.  Plants will only wither if they can't be harvested due to lack of stockpile space, or lack of labor.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 03:11:17 am »

That's not true.  Planted seeds only vanish from a farm plot at a season change if they aren't allowed to grow in the new season.  That check is performed immediately after the season change, not during it (i.e. if you have seasonal autosave with pause set up, the seeds will be there while you're still paused after the save completes, but as soon as you unpause, *poof* -- gone).

Planted seeds that can grow in the new season will grow to maturity.  Any plant that grows to maturity can be harvested, as long as there's a food stockpile accepting that kind of plant with enough space.  Plants will only wither if they can't be harvested due to lack of stockpile space, or lack of labor.

yes, that is exactly what he said, but more elaborate

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 10:01:33 am »

yes, that is exactly what he said, but more elaborate
Not quite. The first person said that if you have a spring/summer plant set to grow in the spring and a summer/autumn plant set to grow in the summer then when summer happens all of the spring/summer plants will disappear. The second (and correct) person said that if you have the above scenario the spring plants will continue to grow, however if the spring ones were planted in summer and the summer ones were planted in autumn then the season change would remove the spring/summer plants.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.