Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Milita dwarves skill help?  (Read 829 times)

BoboTheEpic

• Escaped Lunatic
  • It was inedible.
    • View Profile
Milita dwarves skill help?
« on: January 27, 2012, 06:24:15 pm »

Say your militia has NO dwarves with any fighting skills whatsoever, would dwarves still gain combat skills while training?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Milita dwarves skill help?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 06:28:42 pm »

Yes, but slowly.

Supposedly if you don't have them set to train and they perform individual combat drills, this will help them get their weapon skills up faster than initial training, but I haven't experimented with this.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 06:38:29 pm »

Try get them sparring as soon as possible. Trains quicker than individual drills, and counters the unhappiness from drafting

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 07:01:54 pm »

If you put them in squads of 2 or 3, they apparently train faster due to less time waiting for a full training session.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 09:08:22 pm »

Putting them in small squads also supposedly fosters sparring more often, but this is again something I have never tested.  Whether they'll spar without weapon skill and how effective they'll be, I have no idea.

It will probably be faster than regular training though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 10:00:21 pm »

With no military skills, the individual training helps loads, especially if you assign them no labors for a season. They seem to need to acquire a basic weapon skill before they will spar, which makes sense. Now once that is accomplished(If were on Inactive schedule), they will tend to spar more on Training schedule, which improves many military skills. Which the demonstrations that are involved with training will cause skill boosts, since the  dwarves now have a basic skill.
 These rookie squads are also nice to send on a kill order for any helpless wild life that wanders in. That helps boost several skills.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

BoboTheEpic

• Escaped Lunatic
  • It was inedible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 05:01:55 am »

Thanks for the help guys! I understand much better now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 07:34:10 am »

If you put them in squads of 2 or 3, they apparently train faster due to less time waiting for a full training session.
Doesn't really change anything, but 3 squads of 3 gives more chances of more sparring than a single squad of 9, as only 2 dwarves can spar per squad at a time. So it's just good for all generally :p

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 07:48:48 am »

And the best way to train marksdwarves is to shoot at wildlife. A full squad of 10 marksdwarves with no skill at all, will probably train up to novice marksdwarf on a single fox, because they miss so much when low level (and I think small targets are difficult to hit, making things like bunnies good for training). You get much more skill per bolt by shooting at live targets, and it's less finicky than archery ranges, even though I can get archery ranges to work, I choose not to use them - since shooting at wildlife is so much more effective.

Ranged skills tend to train up a lot faster in combat than melee skills do, it seems that most of my melee dwarves skills come from sparring, without doing cheesy things (like arming dwarves with training swords and beating a captive wild turkey) melee dwarves seem to show very little skill gain from combat. I suspect this is because melee fights tend to end faster, because once the enemy passes out, melee dwarves tend to behead or brainshot it, while marksdwarves will keep hailing on the unconscious target for a good while. Also the highest skill military dwarves often move and kill so quickly that the lesser skilled melee dwarves can't keep up - in contrast with ranged dwarves who all have the same range, so start firing at the same time and will all fire throughout the battle.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 09:12:29 am »

I never see a "full training session" even with a squad of 10.  Instead, I see the squad performing multiple skill-teaching sessions at the same time (2 dwarves doing a wrestling demonstration, 3 doing a shield demonstration, etc.).

Quote from: Telgin
Putting them in small squads also supposedly fosters sparring more often, but this is again something I have never tested.

That might be correct.  I don't know either.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 03:09:03 pm »

Doesn't really change anything, but 3 squads of 3 gives more chances of more sparring than a single squad of 9, as only 2 dwarves can spar per squad at a time. So it's just good for all generally :p
Actually I believe someone did some testing and found out that once your group hits about 8 dwarves then you can have two group sparring simultaneously (so 4 dwarves total). It's still lower percentage of the total, and it's fairly rare, but it is possible.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 03:16:24 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Adn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 12:10:33 pm »

About what skill level do they need to start sparring and in what skills? My one squad has been doing training sessions and individual combat training for at least 2 years and they still haven't sparred. Safe to say that when a group of goblin bowmen came, my squad was quickly turned into pincushions. Does it normally take so long when they have no starting skills and no danger room?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 12:55:58 pm »

I believe that dwarves won't spar unless they both have a small amount of skill (which is why people suggest that you should let them do individual drills at the beginning if they have no skills at all). As for the exact amounts, I don't believe that anyone has done any testing on the subject to discover it. This is why it's extremely useful to either start with a military dwarf or pick a peasant that already has some military skill to build your military on, as their teaching sessions can actually raise dwarves with no skill up to the point where they start sparring much faster then most other methods to reach that point.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 06:12:00 pm »

I made note of a "recruit" sparring a few days ago. He was sparring with someone with a mediocre amount of weapon skill -- less than "skilled". So if it is triggered by skill level, it's very low. If they are not sparring, its probably something to do with your alerts/ scheduling.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 06:29:03 pm »

nothing trains faster than actual combat.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!