Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Force military to pick up equipment  (Read 1081 times)

clem131

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Force military to pick up equipment
« on: February 07, 2012, 11:32:41 am »

Hello everyone, quick question:
I'm reclaiming a fortress. It was spanning several z levels until the magma sea, but access to the underground caves was sealed to avoid wandering monsters. As a result, two Forgotten Beasts arrived and found nothing to do, being locked outside the fortress. With the reclaim, the two Forgotten Beasts were teleported at my fortress entrance. The only way to kill them is to choose 7 warriors for the reclaim, embarking with weapons, ammo and armor. The very first thing I do is set up a military squad containing all the dwarves with equipment matching the one I embarked with. Then, as soon as I spot the beast, I order to kill it, but they don't pick up equipment and they get killed almost immediately. How can I force them to pick up weapons and armor before attacking? The last group got slaughtered except for the leader, who ran and fell in one of the fortress' cage trap. So now the Beast has a nice dwarven zoo, lol.

Another problem, not my priority right now but still strange, is the amount of undead dwarves that seem to be impossible to get rid of. Is that normal with a reclaim? To have undead dwarves whose names aren't in the memorial slab menu?
Thanks

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Force military to pick up equipment
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 11:35:15 am »

draft them into the militairy
wait
wait
wait
check the inventory of each dwarf - (v) (i)
no: back to line 2
Yes: charge
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 01:20:14 pm »

Perhaps you should check your military settings.
Did you assign any dwarves to the squad? Did you assign them armor? Did you assign them weapons? Did you activate the squad? Did you give them time to notice they should be getting equipped?

Your second problem, that's a bug.

JinF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 03:13:59 pm »

Make sure you turn the squad on "Active/Training". Even if they have nowhere to train it will make them pick up their gear.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 06:59:06 pm »

Give the squad a station order.  They'll pick up equipment before going to the designated location.  Then you can cancel the order once they've all got their gear.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz