Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quit going outside!  (Read 718 times)

Myiagros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quit going outside!
« on: January 30, 2012, 01:36:45 pm »

I have only attempted a few forts since the 2010 update since I couldn't get the military figured out at first, but with the updated wiki I've gotten back into the game recently.

I remember in the older versions that there was an order to prevent dwarfs from going outside, now it appears to be gone. I tried making a multi-level barrow instead and setting the civilian alert to use it, but it seems like it keeps the dwarfs on the level that they are on and they won't go up or down stairs to do other things and I eventually have to remove the alert in order for them to get drinks or food. With the alert off they then decide to run outside to change out traps which gets them killed by the goblins waiting at the entrance.

What is the proper way to make an alert or burrow which will allow them to move freely within the entire fort of 5+ z-levels, as well as keep them from venturing outside? I really like the layout of my embark but it is really frustrating to lose 5+ dwarfs every time an ambush appears.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Quit going outside!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 01:38:04 pm »

Make a burrow which includes the entire fortress.  Burrows can be three-dimensional and cover multiple layers, so there shouldn't be any problem making one which covers every place your dwarves need to go.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Myiagros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 01:53:36 pm »

I tried to do that but they seemed to stay on one floor. I would create burrow, select the first floor, go down to the next, select it, etc. and I kept getting announcements that areas inside were inaccessible.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 01:59:50 pm »

Then you did it wrong.  I have many multi-floor burrows and have never had one of them not work.

You can also select multiple floors at once when making a burrow.  Start a rectangle on one level, move level, and end the rectangle on a different level, and you'll get a burrow that covers multiple Z-levels.  Not doing that wasn't what's causing your problem, but it should make it easier when you try again.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Myiagros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 02:12:14 pm »

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 02:17:45 pm »

Are you designating them as one burrow, or several multiple ones? And what's the exact announcement for the inaccessible areas?

Jessoftherocks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grounds all green and mushy, in dungeons o Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 04:29:12 pm »

Also try going into your "Orders" menu. I believe its O from the main menu. Dwarfs gather outside food, is one that cause's alot of heartache sometimes when on.
You obviously found a new species of smart kobold.
Way to go, you killed the only smart kobold's to have existed.
See? Not everyone avoids you!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 04:49:12 pm »

you can designate burrows across z-level unlike everything else.  Just hit enter a the top left corner of your fort, hit > until you are at the bottom of your fort and hit enter again at the bottom right corner: there you have it, an all fort burrow.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?