Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I'm looking for a game that plays like Paper Mario  (Read 2678 times)

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm looking for a game that plays like Paper Mario
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 08:42:44 pm »

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga? That game has action commands.

Same with Partners in Time, I guess, but I haven't tried that game. Or Bowser's Inside Story.

E: SS is for GBA, while PiT and BIS is for the DS.
Superstar Saga and Partners in Time both have action commands for special attacks, items, and dodging. I've never tried Bowser's Inside Story, but I assume similarly. They're also rather fun.

Bowser's Inside Story is a completely different bird, You control bowser for the majority of game. There are various minigames which help you boost bowser's ability. I preferred it over Partners in time just because it had much more variety.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 08:58:44 pm »

Definitely Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. Loved that game like no other.

Also, possibly Final Fantasy 7 or other games in the series? They also have turn-based combat. The Mario ones did a good job at letting the player do more than just select commands though, with the correct timing things and such.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 10:03:42 pm »

Aw, crap, I forgot--didn't FFIX have a similar sort of ability allocation thing?  No action commands, though =/

Also, FFVIII had mild action commands/ability allocation.  They're both great games.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 05:40:52 am »

FFVIII has Squall's Gunblade which requires timing to critical; if you press R2 at the moment it hits, it hits critical for 1.5x damage.
His limit break requires timing too, R2 at the correct moment allows the max amount of hits.

Seifer can do that as well, but he's a temporary member.
Zell's limit break needs fighting game style inputs in a short time.

Not all of the characters have action commands though.

You might like to try Secret of Mana, that was an JARPG- it's on field combat, with a degree of timing.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 09:53:25 am »

No, they all do for the basic attacks.  It's just that most of them are comparatively pains in the ass to implement (for example, trying to get the max for Selphie or Rinoa is only a very sometimes thingus).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 01:46:57 pm »

Aw, crap, I forgot--didn't FFIX have a similar sort of ability allocation thing?  No action commands, though =/

Also, FFVIII had mild action commands/ability allocation.  They're both great games.
FFIX had ability allocation that you learned from items, but if you want that sort of thing, you can go for FFTactics (This is still on my To-Play list, so don't trust me), FFTA (I know, I know, please don't hate me. I did like that game), FFVII or FFX (I literally couldn't finish the game because the level up system is a perfectionist's enemy.)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 02:24:39 pm »

It's fairly short and easy, but Double Fine's Costume Quest does this. Combat is like a kid's version of Final Fantasy, with the different costumes as your class, and "battle stamps" as your equipment. And each costume has different timing-based or button-sequence-based attacks.

And it's a Tim Schafer product, so the dialogue is enjoyable (sadly, no voice acting...so you don't get the same level of awesomeness that you had in Psychonauts, Grim Fandango or Full Throttle)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 02:53:14 pm »

Ah, yeah, there's FFXII's leveling system as well (definitely no action commands).  I also put in a vote for FFVII... can't vouch for FFX or FFT/A, because I actually haven't tried either yet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 02:57:30 pm »

Th'FFTA games are alright, so long as you completely ignore the story. Especially if you've played FFT. There's no timing involved, though, at least in the first two.

... or was there only two? Blazes if I can remember right now. Anyway, yeah, they're alright if you fastforward through the dialogue.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2012, 03:03:46 pm »

I guess Espers/Materia/Gambits/Jobs whatever are kind of similar to the badge system, but I assume the OP is aware of the Final Fantasy series and it isn't what they're looking for.

It's fairly short and easy, but Double Fine's Costume Quest does this.

Ooh, yes. Highly recommend. Very similar Action-Commands and character loadout building. Very charming presentation and dialogue, but yeah, short and easy. I'm amazed it didn't occur to me.

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2012, 03:06:15 pm »

Well I've gotten about a chapter into Partners in Time, and I'm enjoying it fairly well. I'll be sure to check out superstar saga and inside story if and when I beat this one. That should be plenty for me. Thanks, bay12~
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!
Pages: 1 [2]