Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rotating military  (Read 752 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rotating military
« on: February 02, 2012, 05:00:41 pm »

I've heard of people rotating soldiers in and out of the military to avoid the "long patrol duty" thought.  But I don't understand how this works, because if I even switch soldiers from one squad to another I get both "upset at being relieved from duty" and "upset about the draft" thoughts. Are those together less potent than patrol duty? Or am I missing something?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rotating military
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 05:10:14 pm »

If you just have no orders on the dwarf's schedule for one month out of every three or so, they'll avoid the long patrol duty thought. This is basically what squad rotation means; putting empty months on a squad's schedule so dwarves can take a break. Since idle dwarves who are in a military squad will do drills, they'll also advance in skill during these months, albeit more slowly than when on actual training duty.

The upset about the draft thought comes only if the dwarf does not have any weapon (or wrestling) skill of novice level or above. They typically get to that level pretty quickly so long as they're training with a weapon, so a 2 months on 1 month off training schedule avoids getting this more than the first time they enter the military.

The upset about being relieved from duty thought is similar, but comes only if they have no non-conversation civilian skills at novice level or better. Basically, if they become peasants, they don't like it, but don't care otherwise.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 05:15:21 pm »

and the same is true for going off duty. If they have no skill other than militairy or social, they'll complain. Making some dry pumps and assigning them to be operated and having a recruit with that labor enabled will make the recruit strong, durable, and have no unhappy thoughts for getting inactive
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 05:17:54 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 07:50:26 pm »

i never much care about the long duty thought.
its more than offset by legendary meals, bedrooms, dining halls, and the like.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!