Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My embark is swarming with skeletal EVERYTHING, help!  (Read 2269 times)

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
My embark is swarming with skeletal EVERYTHING, help!
« on: January 28, 2012, 10:20:16 am »

I decided to embark on an apparently highly-savage, good and evil and normal river. This has turned out to be a bad idea, as I'm more or less trapped inside while trying to train up a military that can get outside. I'd like to be able to retrieve all of the corpses outside that keep piling up every time I send another dwarf out.

So, two questions: Do cage traps work on skeletal creatures, and would a tightly-shut (no animals allowed) door be enough for an emergency entrance for my dwarves without letting the skeletons inside? Or would at least a forbidden door work?

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: My embark is swarming with skeletal EVERYTHING, help!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 10:21:39 am »

I believe so, yes. Doors will keep out anything but building destroyers who will beeline to the door. Cages i think work on anything undead that it would work on if they were alive.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 10:31:49 am »

I believe so, yes. Doors will keep out anything but building destroyers who will beeline to the door. Cages i think work on anything undead that it would work on if they were alive.

Aren't all undead building destroyers?

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 10:33:46 am »

Aren't all undead building destroyers?

Really?
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 10:39:00 am »

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 10:43:16 am »

DISREGARD THE FIRST COMMENT. AQUIRE FIRE AND AXES

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 10:44:50 am »

The wiki says that level one building destroyers only target *wooden* doors. Is this true, or do I need to start a magma pump to the surface?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 01:15:59 pm »

The wiki says that level one building destroyers only target *wooden* doors. Is this true, or do I need to start a magma pump to the surface?

If it's wooden, it's gone.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 03:03:48 pm »

You can't really go wrong with a drawbridge. But yeah, only wooden furniture.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 03:16:44 pm »

Cage traps will catch skeletal animals.

Also, if the critter is small (something like a turkey or a marmot, not a deer, moose, horse, giraffe), you can recruit whoever it's chasing, giving them 'No Uniform' in the military menu, and they'll kill it with no big problems. After that you can disband them or whatever you want.

The most annoying thing is when a big clan of skeletal badgers runs into all the cage traps and you get spammed by people trying to reload the traps and you're out of cages.

What units are in your caverns?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 04:39:03 pm »

get silver hammers and steel axes, arm everyone, cloaks, helms and shields are especially good here (have them wearing like 5-9 cloaks and 3-5 shields each). Raising bridge moved by a lever deep within the fort (not near the entrance, or even close) is the best defense you can get for your entrance, use it as an atom smasher if the undead overwhelm  your military and are moving through it.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Urist McBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 05:32:25 pm »

(have them wearing like 5-9 cloaks and 3-5 shields each)

How do you get them to wear so many shields? I thought you could only do that in adventure mode.
This is a known source of vexation.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 12:22:07 am »

Custom uniforms. The proper formula for maximum defence is on the armour page on the wiki.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 10:26:27 am »

Thankfully I generated a very shallow world, and magma was a relatively short walk down to churn out some steel! Outfitting everyone with steel axes, iron chainmail and breastplates, and a pair of cloaks. I like to keep my uniforms sorta realistic, so no stacking a bunch of stuff. Sorta wish there were zombies now, since they've got anti-zombie armor!

I've found that despite them being ridiculous in combat, skeletons don't like marksdwarves at all. A single bone bolt can take down most of them.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 12:22:33 pm »

Custom uniforms. The proper formula for maximum defence is on the armour page on the wiki.
While it may not be as protective I prefer going for probable defence. Well, almost probable. I hate more than one weapon and more than one shield on a single Dwarf. :U
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.