Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF Offline Help  (Read 2921 times)

Rayc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF Offline Help
« on: February 04, 2012, 05:34:37 pm »

I have run into a conundrum.  I have a friend that has a slow computer and no internet (save a trip to the library) and he is looking for something to do.  I see him once a month at a role-playing session (we are currently in the underground ruins of a dwarfen fortress).  I wanted to given him the lazy newb pack, but realized that 99% of the help/inspiration/motivation to play the game comes from the internet.  Does anyone have something akin to the wiki that could be downloaded so that he could read it without needing a internet connection?   

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: DF Offline Help
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 05:53:32 pm »

I didn't know it was still an option to buy a computer, or any kind of technology, without an internet connection.

As for your question, as far as I know there's nothing like that. You could just give him the Lazy newb pack and write down all the instructions for it.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 06:40:39 pm »

I have run into a conundrum.  I have a friend that has a slow computer and no internet (save a trip to the library) and he is looking for something to do.   

I'm not quite sure DF would be the best option for someone with a slow computer. Despite the looks it actually requires a large amount of processing power and the game loses a lot of its fun when it takes a full day of playing for a year to pass.

As for your question, I'm unaware of anything. If his computer actually can run the game at a decent FPS then I'd suggest just copying a ton of wiki pages into a word document and putting it on a cd/thumb drive.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 08:13:14 pm »

What is "slow"?

Rayc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 10:37:48 pm »

"Slow" is barely able to run Minecraft.  The computer has an internet connection, just no internet.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 12:26:16 pm »

If it's anything like my laptop, which can't really play Minecraft except as a slideshow, then it should be able to do a 2x2 embark without too much trouble. Medium world gen might take an hour.

There is no downloadable wiki you can get easily, but you could put videos on a thumbdrive. That's a start. Just check the stickies in the DF Gameplay section here.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 03:42:55 pm »

Or get him the Nanofortress hack. You can do a surprising amount in Nanofortress; I was going to build a giant clay tower taking up almost the entire embark, but I had to mod my dwarves to have [SPEED:0].

It would be nice if it were possible to set the init file so that dwarf speed is a function of FPS, for example [SPEED:0.1FPS]. In this way, FPS sloth wouldn't render it unplayable.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 04:27:39 pm »

Doesn't dfhack have a built in speed hack? I haven't really played since dfhack went to r# releases.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 07:26:35 pm »

How about DF's internal help?  Just press '?'
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 09:12:34 pm »

I think there's a method of downloading the whole wiki as a series of HTML documents, or at least one that doesn't take several days or have the potential to crash the server. It'd be big, it would probably fit on a CD-R if zipped.

Alternatively, mobile broadband gets cheaper every year, and in some parts of the world you can even go pre-pay.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Arnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 11:09:46 pm »

I know how to spider web sites, I've started HTTrack running on the wiki overnight.
I set it to include images but exclude all files and page histories, the search will be broken as well, but you will be able to search through the pages using the windows search tool.

EDIT: It looks like I collected a little too much data, I'll fix the setting's and try again.
EDIT2: I set the collection to be a lot more limited, there are a few pages missing, but nothing too serious, the plus side is that the file is only 16MB zipped (80MB unzipped)

Make you have something to unzip the file before you take it over to your friends, PeaZip will work nicely http://peazip.sourceforge.net/

You can download the file from: http://www.2shared.com/file/btk0oHut/DfWikiSmall.html
Have fun playing :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:04:20 am by Arnos »

Rayc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 05:41:48 pm »

Thanks, this shall help.  HTTrack looks like a cool program, I should get it just in case this type of problem occurs with something else.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 07:28:58 pm »

Depending on how much free tech support you're willing to offer, you could setup a local copy of the wiki using a local install of MediaWiki/PHP/Apache.  Just make sure that Apache isn't listening to anything besides 127.0.0.1 and import the wiki from here: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php?title=Special:Export