Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to deal with caged vultures?  (Read 838 times)

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to deal with caged vultures?
« on: January 28, 2012, 11:07:42 am »

They set off some of my cage traps. How do I butcher them? Do I have to drown them in their cages first or what? Won't they fly away as soon as the cage door is opened?

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
Re: How to deal with caged vultures?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 11:19:28 am »

They set off some of my cage traps. How do I butcher them? Do I have to drown them in their cages first or what? Won't they fly away as soon as the cage door is opened?

AFAIK you can only butcher tame animals. so taming them might be necessary. I don't know if caged animals can drown, the last time I tried it didn't work.
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 11:31:09 am »

AFAIK you can only butcher tame animals. so taming them might be necessary. I don't know if caged animals can drown, the last time I tried it didn't work.

Live tame animals and dead non-tame animals can be butchered; the inverse states can't be.

Consequently you could arrange for the vultures to be 'struck down' in some fashion; rigging the cages up to levers in a sealed, 1z high trap chamber/drowning chamber/archery range might work.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 11:32:22 am »

Just let them out in the middle of your military!
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 11:34:27 am »

Easy/safe way: Build a kennel and tame the vulture, then have it butchered.

Other method: Open the cages in a room where the only exit is a locked door. Have a armed and armored soldier in the room. Instruct the soldier to kill the vultures. USE A BLUNT WEAPON SO YOU HAVE FEWER PIECES TO BUTCHER.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 12:15:44 pm »

USE A BLUNT WEAPON SO YOU HAVE FEWER PIECES TO BUTCHER.

Or, use sharp weapons so you have more pieces to butcher.  Fewer pieces takes less time and uses up less stockpile space, but more pieces gets you more leather (since each piece gets you one unit of leather) and more, smaller stacks of bones (better if you're decorating with bones, since each job uses one stack).
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 01:20:17 pm »

Other method: Open the cages in a room where the only exit is a locked door. Have a armed and armored soldier in the room. Instruct the soldier to kill the vultures. USE A BLUNT WEAPON SO YOU HAVE FEWER PIECES TO BUTCHER.

And 1 z lvl between roof and floor. HA HA WHERE YOU GOING TO FLY NOW UGLY VULTURE

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 01:57:42 pm »

And 1 z lvl between roof and floor. HA HA WHERE YOU GOING TO FLY NOW UGLY VULTURE
Urist Mcsoldier cancels kill vulture: interrupted by vulture.

no need to fly.
Squad order: Station outside door: Move through door: Chase vulture: Curb stomp vulture into fine paste