Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Human Diplomat Dead Upon Arrival  (Read 3519 times)

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Human Diplomat Dead Upon Arrival
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2012, 12:16:46 pm »

So, I haven't played in a while, but I recently got back into my game and the very next year a human war party laid seige to my fortress.  The leader was riding a war lion, which was really cool, but they were driven off by speardwarves and marksdwarves and the was lion impaled and shot through the head.

Now, this obviously is caused by the diplomat showing up dead, as I have done no other hostile actions.  Does this mean our civilizations are now at war?  Will they keep sending sieges every year or so?

They will send another diplomat. He'll ask you if you'd like to make peace. If you say yes and he doesn't die then the war is over and the human caravans will come back.

As you've probably already observed, the cats-as-bait trick doesn't work so well on humans. They're smarter than that. Instead of charging suicidally towards the pets you so cruelly ejected out the hatch cover, humans conduct proper sieges; they stop near the edge of the map and cannot be lured very far from their chosen spot. This isn't a bug. Sometimes they set up little camp fires to let you know they mean business about staying put.
I love this because it gives me plenty of time to trundle my catapults into position to bombard them. And the campfires make great aiming points.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2012, 12:26:32 pm »

AFAIK, war never ends.

War. War never changes.
Yes it does, all the fucking time. No war is the same as the war before, after all.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2012, 12:48:33 pm »

AFAIK, war never ends.

War. War never changes.
Yes it does, all the fucking time. No war is the same as the war before, after all.
^^^^
Pages: 1 2 [3]