Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mixed Races Fortress?  (Read 2483 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Mixed Races Fortress?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 12:00:01 pm »

"The mere thought hadn't even begun to speculate about the merest possibility of crossing my mind."

(I hate to look up quotes, but oh well)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Siraidan9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 06:21:32 pm »

pffy, goblins aren't that bad. Truly. It is the ELVES that need to be put to death, Goblins and Dwarves aren't so different... well they're very different, but more alike than elves and Dwarves. I've always wanted the option to embark as a goblin town/cavern-tribe/mockeryofdwarves or as goblin adventurer.
Slicity, slice, stab, stab, cut, thrust, roundhouse kick, hack

Tecknojock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 08:25:45 pm »

It worked better than I expected. My parent civilization was apparently Tigermen. They perform skills they learned how to do in the embark screen but do not accept new jobs (as in, I can't cut wood ever because nobody had points in woodcutting on embark), even with third-party tools. Waiting to see if the migrants are also all Tigermen.

I believe adding [CAN_LEARN] to the Tigermen creature raw to fix that issue.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 11:27:24 pm »

Thanks to some modding to make Tigermen common domestic animals and Dfusion to enable multirace fortresses, and of course [CAN_ LEARN] and [CAN_SPEAK] I had Tigermen working as woodworkers, craftsmen and miners. They work and move slower than dwarves in most tasks, save for hauling which for some reason they cook down the halls and probably knock all the dwarves over. Also pulled it off with Ant people, using the soldier ones as a sort of auxilliary to my regular dwarves while the workers mined and chopped wood.
Gave the ant people all the no fear tag to be sure they'd fight to protect the fortress untill the bloody end. And boy did it get pretty damn bloody when I got attacked by a rather angry savvana titan.

As a side benefit, none of the dwarves will give a damn if they die since they only really socialize among themselves. They can still get all  pissy though, but when they died so my dwarves need not (ant man woodcutter got mauled by a giant badger, copping wood til he actually got attacked, and a soldier got gored by a troll and died instead of its dwarven captain) made it work out pretty good. I messed something up when I tried to duplicate what I had done before, as I couldn't assign the antmen to my army, and with tigermen I could only assign them room and combat duties after they became ledgendary (I had moods take my tigermen, one making a platinum crossbow, one agem encrusted shirt, and one a red topaz earring) so I only had 3 mighty tigermen out of the 10 I brought to mostly be soldiers acutally serving.

If set to come from the mountain biome like the dwarves and set to common domestic, tiger and and ant men will migrate to the fortress, typically in a juvinile state. So they'd be considered fair game for snatchers. Not that it does them any good when Tigermen like fighting. Tigerman cub died, but he ripped the goblin's knife hand off and broke his leg.A swift pick ax beating finished the job when I let him out of the room.

The downside is that these extras are counted as part of the population for the likes of the mayor and whatnot, but aren't counted on the fortress census, so you'd have to keep track of actual population manually. Liked the idea with castes though.... But at least if a tigerman and dwarf get together the result will be one or the other, not an elf or kobold or something. Also Tigermen auxilliaries can be armed but not armored as those are some big bastards compared to dwarves and dwarves dont manufacture gear big enough for them. Not sure if humans do though, so trade might be the remedy for that.

First Bay12 post and didnt insult anyone! Not too bad if I say so myself, and pardon those blobs of text, I like to go into detail on stuff.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 07:57:54 pm »

pffy, goblins aren't that bad. Truly. It is the ELVES that need to be put to death, Goblins and Dwarves aren't so different... well they're very different, but more alike than elves and Dwarves. I've always wanted the option to embark as a goblin town/cavern-tribe/mockeryofdwarves or as goblin adventurer.

see my sig.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 11:18:22 am »

True, but this results in a goblin/dwarf couple making an ELF. A STINKING ELF.

How else did you think elves originated?
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.
Pages: 1 [2]