Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Space Eploration games where you actually explore planet surfaces?  (Read 15961 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Eploration games where you actually explore planet surfaces?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 02:41:45 am »

Can you explore lots of planet surfaces on Mass Effect 1? :O I have 2 and have my preorder of 3 half paid for.. (gotta hurry up..)
Honestly it was one of the most baffling removals of a part of the game for me. I loved driving around in the APC like a madman, much better than pinging shit. I don't really get why you would play ME2 without first playing ME1, but oh well.
Unfortunately I can't really think of anything
Actually Star Trek Online just came to mind as something that hasn't been mentioned yet, but it's supposed to be terrible.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 05:21:55 pm »

I've been waiting on the Pioneer game for a while. Never tried it because it's alpha, and I'm still waiting for more stuff to be implemented, but it sounds and looks awesome.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 05:35:23 pm »

Can you explore lots of planet surfaces on Mass Effect 1? :O I have 2 and have my preorder of 3 half paid for.. (gotta hurry up..)
Honestly it was one of the most baffling removals of a part of the game for me. I loved driving around in the APC like a madman, much better than pinging shit. I don't really get why you would play ME2 without first playing ME1, but oh well.

ME2 and 1 are very different games. I would not call either a "planet exploration" game.

Nothing to add at the moment as all space games I'm currently playing have no planet explore.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 05:53:02 pm »

Blockade Runner will have features like that.  You'll eventually be able to land on planets and astroids, ect.   8)

Here's the forum thread.  It hasn't been updated in a while, though.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83270.0
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 07:13:51 pm »

I've been waiting on the Pioneer game for a while. Never tried it because it's alpha, and I'm still waiting for more stuff to be implemented, but it sounds and looks awesome.

I recommend giving a look in Pioneer, even if it's labelled as "alpha", the freeform exploration of frankly stunning landscape with that streaming technology that allows impressive details the closer you are from the terrain create an exploration ambiance that should get anyone interesting in exploring planetary/moon/asteroids landscape hooked.

Even if the game in itself is not near to be feature complete (though at each alpha there are new features that give more "gameplay" to it, it's near to Frontier Elite 2 already in term of gameplay), it's really worth launching it, it's a great experience just already on the exploration level in which you can sometime be amazed by those terrains generated.

And that streaming technique makes it even playable on weak computers (and the options are very scalable so powerfull computers can get even more details).
The development is very lively as they release a new alpha nearly every months.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 07:22:39 pm »

Did you say also looking for a small town generating zombie game with rural areas and such? I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but the Cataclysm roguelike has what you're looking for in that department.  Theres a thread on this board.

Samio

• Bay Watcher
  • ˙uǝʌǝ ʇ,uop ı sıɥʇ sı ʇɐɥʍ
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 08:03:10 pm »

Did you say also looking for a small town generating zombie game with rural areas and such? I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but the Cataclysm roguelike has what you're looking for in that department.  Theres a thread on this board.
Survival Crisis Z anyone?

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 08:52:07 pm »

Survival Crisis Z anyone?
That too, very much so (though it's more like inner city survival than anything).

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 08:59:38 pm »

Prospector, never played it but jefmajor did an lp of it.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 09:28:23 pm »

Try Space Prospector. I just put up a thread about it here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=99906.0
Only a simple mind can be certain.
Pages: 1 [2]