Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mysterious Vanishing Wall Grate  (Read 1307 times)

ActnMoviHeroBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mysterious Vanishing Wall Grate
« on: February 13, 2012, 01:42:50 pm »

So, when making my magma foundries, I tend to begin like this:
Code: [Select]
MM|
MM|--------
MM|++++++++
MM|--------
MM|

Then put a magma-safe wall grate in:

MM|
MM|--------
MM|#+++++++
MM|--------
MM|

Attach it to a lever, open it, dig out the last tile, get my miner to safety, and close it again to keep out the nasties. Ends up looking like this:

MM|
MM|--------
MMM#MMMMMMM
MM|--------
MM|

In my current fort, something interesting has happened. After digging out the last tile, I closed the grate and went looking for the darker magma tile to confirm closure. I found nothing. In my entire fort, there is not a single wall grate. I had six mechanisms, four used (one in my well, one that made the lever, one in the lever and one in the grate) and two unused. I now have five. Two are in the lever, one is in the well, and two are in my stockpile.

Everything is made of bauxite.

Thankfully there aren't any magma creatures on the U screen right now, but since I don't think there's any way for me to fix this I'm just gonna have to deal with them when they come. Any thoughts?
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious Vanishing Wall Grate
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 01:50:22 pm »

Have you checked your stocks screen to see if it agrees with you on the count?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

ActnMoviHeroBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 03:33:31 pm »

That's how I got the count.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 03:52:07 pm »

You could just have the miner carve a fortification, instead of bothering with a wall grate.  Wall grates don't stop creatures from passing through them when submerged any more than fortifications do.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 04:03:52 pm »

You could just have the miner carve a fortification, instead of bothering with a wall grate.  Wall grates don't stop creatures from passing through them when submerged any more than fortifications do.

Wouldn't the most sensible thing to do be installing a floor grate, anyway? Don't they block creature movement regardless?
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 04:25:11 pm »

Yep, floor grates are useful for blocking creatures from getting in from the magma sea.  Only problem with them is that magma doesn't flow uphill on its own.  When I'm setting up a magma smithing area and want to be sure nothing can get in, I use a floor grate and a magma-safe pump to pull magma out of the magma sea and fill a dedicated reservoir safely.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 04:30:49 pm »

So I assume that by corollary, your wall grate must have melted with its mechanism, and bauxite is no longer magma-immune.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 04:50:46 pm »

So I assume that by corollary, your wall grate must have melted with its mechanism, and bauxite is no longer magma-immune.
Either that or you accidentally made the grade and mechanism out of something that's not bauxite. That seems more likely than the laws of (dwarven) physics suddenly changing.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 06:54:54 pm »

I've made iron wall grates, with no mechanisms, to try to keep out magma monsters (though reading above apparently that doesn't work anymore) and had them deconstructed by the lava.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 07:10:39 pm »

So then fortifications are indeed the only answer. Except that they don't work either.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

ActnMoviHeroBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 07:31:30 pm »

Well the wiki page for fortifications says to use grates instead, since they don't let creatures through. I'd really like to know the reality, since this might mean I just need to rethink my magma use for the future.
GENERATION 29:

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 07:56:07 pm »

No idea why it disappeared, but here's my method for tapping magma.  It also involves fortifications, and quite safe for the dwarves concerned, too...  You just need to find a 'corner' in the magma-source's wall, and head towards that.

Approach   ..Nearly   ..Smooth   ...Build   ....Open   ...Carve   Walk off   Let fill   ....seal
77█   %    77█  %     77█  %     77█  %     77█  %     77█  %     77█  %     77█  %     77█  %     
77█        77█        77█        77█        77█        77█        77█        77█        77█       
77██████   77██████   77╔═════   77╔═════   77╔═════   77╔═════   77╔═════   77╔═════   77╔═════   
7███,,,,   7██,,,,,   7█║+++++   7█║X++++   7R║+++++   7█╬☺++++   7█421++☺   7█777777   7█7X7777   
7███████   7███████   7█╚═════   7█╚═════   7R╚═════   7█╚═════   7█╚═════   7█╚═════   7█╚═════   
7█     %   7█     %   7█     %   7█     %   7█     %   7█     %   7█     %   7█     %   7█     %   
7█ %       7█ %       7█ %       7█ %       7█ %       7█ %       7█ %       7█ %       7█ %       
                                 (& link)
(Tried to do that with colour under Courier font, but it wasn't as proportional as I thought it should be, so revamped it under the [code ] tag.  Hope you can work it out, anyway.)

Anyway, pretty safe, unless something sneaks in before the floodgate is reclosed.  And safe from emptying effects of megaengineering and other causes making the lava tube level drop.