Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't memorialize a ghost  (Read 1984 times)

Veldez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't memorialize a ghost
« on: January 24, 2012, 04:31:36 pm »

I had a run of bad luck and lost 3 entire caravans to ambushes. Rather than add burial spaces for non-fortress dwarves I laid them to rest in the great magma sea, planning on memorializing any that returned as ghosts. That worked well for the first 3 ghosts, but one merchant marksdwarf has returned, and his name is nowhere to be found on the memorial list. I double and triple checked. There are several blank listings though, saying simply "Carve memorial" with no name. Could one of those be his? Would hate to make a couple dozen unknown memorials only to find they do nothing. If the blank ones are not for him, are there any other ways to get rid of him? How long does a ghost... erm.... "live" anyway?

Related question: once a ghost has been laid to rest, can the memorial for him be tossed safely to make room for new ones lol? Will ghosts return if their memorial is tossed out?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't memorialize a ghost
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 04:38:44 pm »

The blank entries might, but probably won't, be the ghost marksdwarf's. And that's why building coffins and interring your fallen caravans is better than incinerating them.

Ghosts "live" until they "die" of old age at the same time they would have if they had survived. As dwarves live well over a century, this typically isn't a practical method of ridding yourself of them. Also, dwarves whose memorial has been destroyed can rise as ghosts, whether or not they appeared as ghosts at some time in the past.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 04:59:27 pm »

If you absolutely can't stand the ghost (and you/a friend has windows) I'm almost positive that DF Hack has a method for removing ghosts by setting them to dead and deleted or something like that.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 07:30:06 pm »

DFusion perhaps
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 06:16:20 pm »

Is there any options such as

"Carve memorial to " with nothing after, if this is the case, just try carving ALL of these.
Ignore the "Carve Memorial" ones though.
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 11:08:31 am »

Related question: once a ghost has been laid to rest, can the memorial for him be tossed safely to make room for new ones lol? Will ghosts return if their memorial is tossed out?
I'm not certain, but some code analysis I did earlier seems to indicate that ghosts will come back if their coffin/memorial is disturbed - Legends mode seems capable of reporting that a "<creature> came back from the dead [once more, this time] as a <type of ghost>".
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.