Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Space men  (Read 3409 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Space men
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 11:04:30 pm »

I oppose this on principle as well. The simple fact, every dwarf knows, is that the moon up there and all its other strata spheric friends, were all mastercrafts made by a legendary dwarf cheese maker in a farm.  Hence, anything originating from those moons must be dwarfskind, not mankind. 
You're almost right. All of reality is in fact a 9 layer cake wrought by the finest cakesmith in the known universe who, in a fit of raw creation, baked a cake so supremely magnificent that the universe itself felt a bit shabby by comparison and swapped places with it.
I still say they were made out of stone and metal! And that things vaguely like spacemen in concept, and able to mod in actual spacemen, are good ideas.

What about mysterious underground civs putting outposts on the surface? Like a drow raiding party (To use a somewhat stereotypical example) or something like that.

I Like that idea, personally... Maybe not... Drow, but more ancient things.. that aren't elves. Say maybe corrupted Dwarves. After all, elves can't dig, even dark elves. They just make wooden things out of magic. and carry elephants on donkeys. (and probably released the elephants on boatmurdered) Or something else entirely.
Hm, how about...svirneblin, or deugar, or mind flayers, or deep halflings (halflings with some dwarven traits, thus being like a combination of elf and dwarf but shorter), or (locates several D&D books) chokers (small, humanoid flexible aberrations that are VERY fast [old-edition haste]), or derros (small, insane dwarves), or driders (half-spider, half-drow, basically--it's complicated), ethereal filtchers (four-armed one-legged body-faced aberrations) with or without the ethereal, or ettercaps (spidermen, spare me the puns), or formians (ant-outsiders), or gargoyles, or some interpretation of ghouls, or gnolls (hyena-men), or grimlocks (eyeless humanoids with blindsight), or hobgoblins, or kobolds (oh, wait), or magmins (humanoid fire elementals), or orcs, or rakshasas (magical tiger-people), or skum (subterranean fish-people...things...more or less), or troglodytes (the D&D kind, which are basically smelly lizardmen), or xills (four-armed and dangerous, red-skinned people who lay eggs in people paralysed by their venom), or yuan-ti (humans magically infused with snake-essence [more or less], and their descendants), or abeils (bee-people), or avolakias (avolakian? Anyways, giant necromantic worm-like things [more or less] that can mimic humanoid form, have a poisonous bite and 8 claws, heals about as fast as D&D trolls, and prefer eating undead flesh), or desmodu (big gecko-ciliated bat-people that can't fly but have sheets of skin from wrist to ankle, that tame special kinds of bats for pets and mounts), or feldrakes (elves' dragon friends, for when elves won't dirty their hands), or grells (beaked, flying brains with paralytic tentacles and an insatiable hunger), or jermalaines (little rat-fey about the size of actual rats, with no magical abilities past speaking with normal rats), or meenlocks (tiny, clawed aberrations that transform other humanoids into meenlocks), or myconids (mushroom men that grow from cat-sized to giant-sized over their lifetime and gain various types of spores from "distress" and "rapport" to "hallucination" and "animation" [of undead]), or neogi (spider-like aberrations with snakey necks that have umber hulk minions and magically-bound slaves), or spellweavers (weird, six-armed humanoids with great magical skill), or thri-kreen (four-armed mantis warriors), or armands (armadillo-people), or nycters (small, winged batfolk), or shifters (part-lycans). Sorry about the wall of text, I just decided that a bunch of D&D critters would be cool to see in DF, especially since some would lead to the ability to mod in cooler stuff.

But...holy Armok, that's a big wall of text! Again, sorry.

I'll add a bunch of my TV Tropes links later, don't worry. Expect lots of links to "Out Monsters are Different." Maybe bold the monster names or something, to make them stand out.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 02:19:31 pm »

I oppose this on principle as well. The simple fact, every dwarf knows, is that the moon up there and all its other strata spheric friends, were all mastercrafts made by a legendary dwarf cheese maker in a farm.  Hence, anything originating from those moons must be dwarfskind, not mankind. 
You're almost right. All of reality is in fact a 9 layer cake wrought by the finest cakesmith in the known universe who, in a fit of raw creation, baked a cake so supremely magnificent that the universe itself felt a bit shabby by comparison and swapped places with it.
I still say they were made out of stone and metal!
A dwarf frisbieed a cheesecake out of its crust, and it just hasn't landed...  Yet.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2012, 02:26:13 pm »

Add raw tag that limits a civilization of your choice to one city. That way, something like that can be modded in. It certainly shouldn't be part of the vanilla package, adding all possible different flavours of civs isn't what Toady should waste his time on.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Siraidan9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2012, 11:21:34 am »

I still say they were made out of stone and metal! And that things vaguely like spacemen in concept, and able to mod in actual spacemen, are good ideas.

What about mysterious underground civs putting outposts on the surface? Like a drow raiding party (To use a somewhat stereotypical example) or something like that.

I Like that idea, personally... Maybe not... Drow, but more ancient things.. that aren't elves. Say maybe corrupted Dwarves. After all, elves can't dig, even dark elves. They just make wooden things out of magic. and carry elephants on donkeys. (and probably released the elephants on boatmurdered) Or something else entirely.
Hm, how about...svirneblin, or deugar, or mind flayers, or deep halflings (halflings with some dwarven traits, thus being like a combination of elf and dwarf but shorter), or (locates several D&D books) chokers (small, humanoid flexible aberrations that are VERY fast [old-edition haste]), or derros (small, insane dwarves), or driders (half-spider, half-drow, basically--it's complicated), ethereal filtchers (four-armed one-legged body-faced aberrations) with or without the ethereal, or ettercaps (spidermen, spare me the puns), or formians (ant-outsiders), or gargoyles, or some interpretation of ghouls, or gnolls (hyena-men), or grimlocks (eyeless humanoids with blindsight), or hobgoblins, or kobolds (oh, wait), or magmins (humanoid fire elementals), or orcs, or rakshasas (magical tiger-people), or skum (subterranean fish-people...things...more or less), or troglodytes (the D&D kind, which are basically smelly lizardmen), or xills (four-armed and dangerous, red-skinned people who lay eggs in people paralysed by their venom), or yuan-ti (humans magically infused with snake-essence [more or less], and their descendants), or abeils (bee-people), or avolakias (avolakian? Anyways, giant necromantic worm-like things [more or less] that can mimic humanoid form, have a poisonous bite and 8 claws, heals about as fast as D&D trolls, and prefer eating undead flesh), or desmodu (big gecko-ciliated bat-people that can't fly but have sheets of skin from wrist to ankle, that tame special kinds of bats for pets and mounts), or feldrakes (elves' dragon friends, for when elves won't dirty their hands), or grells (beaked, flying brains with paralytic tentacles and an insatiable hunger), or jermalaines (little rat-fey about the size of actual rats, with no magical abilities past speaking with normal rats), or meenlocks (tiny, clawed aberrations that transform other humanoids into meenlocks), or myconids (mushroom men that grow from cat-sized to giant-sized over their lifetime and gain various types of spores from "distress" and "rapport" to "hallucination" and "animation" [of undead]), or neogi (spider-like aberrations with snakey necks that have umber hulk minions and magically-bound slaves), or spellweavers (weird, six-armed humanoids with great magical skill), or thri-kreen (four-armed mantis warriors), or armands (armadillo-people), or nycters (small, winged batfolk), or shifters (part-lycans). Sorry about the wall of text, I just decided that a bunch of D&D critters would be cool to see in DF, especially since some would lead to the ability to mod in cooler stuff.

But...holy Armok, that's a big wall of text! Again, sorry.

I'll add a bunch of my TV Tropes links later, don't worry. Expect lots of links to "Out Monsters are Different." Maybe bold the monster names or something, to make them stand out.

That, is an Idea I like.
Slicity, slice, stab, stab, cut, thrust, roundhouse kick, hack

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2012, 05:23:57 pm »

I think the concept of "space men" is too Earthlike, ironically. If you've got a truly fantastic fantasy world, then why would it have a world/solar system/universe that was very like ours in the first place?

Why would there be a "space" like the one around our planet? Maybe the DF world is flat, and infinitely large? Outsiders might have to travel through dimensional veils and distant planes to reach your Fortress. Armok knows, there's enough freaky, utterly alienlike (and we're talking Lovecraft aliens here) HFS and Titans out there. Maybe HFS land is just a particularly nasty Astral plane away, and the nastiest of it's residents have simply been chewing on the Stuff of Reality for long enough that it's begun to wear out a bit, and our Dwarfs can now dig through it.

And, if you're talking moons, why stop at one? And travel to them could be a weirdly regular event. Sail long enough towards a particular moon, and you might occasionall reach it, just as it was rising above the infinitely-deep, blue sea.
For they would be your masters.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2012, 11:13:23 pm »

Very good idea, i would much like these landing and pwning everything.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

also completly offtopic

A very good idea, but what about interacting with civs, a big (or ungodly big if its a covie assualt carrier) ship/fleet landing would be a bit hard to miss. Trading, unless dwarves are getting plasma beams (probably could be modded with the magic update?) and railguns, trading shouldnt be allowed. (unless modded)
Fighting, they should be restricted to a small area around them, and only attack civs outside that radius only if attacked, but attacking civs within should be entirerly allowed so to not just pwn the planet unless you somehow survive. (the radius could be modded also :3)

i hope i didnt do anything offtopic or anything :( first time i have tried to be usefull :D.

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2012, 09:51:54 pm »

Very good idea, i would much like these landing and pwning everything.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

also completly offtopic

A very good idea, but what about interacting with civs, a big (or ungodly big if its a covie assualt carrier) ship/fleet landing would be a bit hard to miss. Trading, unless dwarves are getting plasma beams (probably could be modded with the magic update?) and railguns, trading shouldnt be allowed. (unless modded)
Fighting, they should be restricted to a small area around them, and only attack civs outside that radius only if attacked, but attacking civs within should be entirerly allowed so to not just pwn the planet unless you somehow survive. (the radius could be modded also :3)

i hope i didnt do anything offtopic or anything :( first time i have tried to be usefull :D.
You're not off-topic, but you do need to give Dsarker back his avatar.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.
Pages: 1 2 [3]