Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Orlando vacation.  (Read 566 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Orlando vacation.
« on: January 25, 2012, 09:06:42 am »

Sup bros, I need ideas for a stuff to do in orlando Florida!

Gonna see the second part of Universal with my parents.

But, Disney and seaworld and a bunch of places don't seem as appealing as when I was like 7 or whatever.

Got two? more days to go.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Orlando vacation.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 09:26:28 am »

Hmm, seen the Everglades?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 12:48:29 pm »

It has always been a personal goal of mine to stalk Dave Berry. Perhaps you can do that well you are down there for me?

kinglog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • mpmarimba
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 08:39:04 pm »

I live in the Orlando area - if you can give me some idea of what you'd like to do, where you're coming from, and what options you have for getting around I can give you some ideas.

The Everglades are fairly far away but Ocala National Forest is about an hour out. There are a LOT of state parks if you like that kind of thing.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 09:09:09 am »

I'm 22, we have a rented car, uh,no kids here.

Not interested in stuff like gatorland, disney, seaworld, ect.

Mom is a bit worn from all the walking, so less of that.

Also, I don't know who Dave Berry is.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 10:29:51 am »

I'm from Orlando, lived there for years anyways.

It really depends on what you're interested in doing. There is all sorts of things to do there. Ripley's Believe-it-or-not is a museum that might be worth a visit. Orlando Museum of Art is supposedly half-way decent, though I've never been there. There is the Orlando Science Center, but it's really aimed at little kids and admission is weirdly expensive. Downtown Orlando has lots of bars and restaurants. There is a dog track and a Jai-Alai arena in Casselberry, never been to those either.

Honestly, almost everything in Orlando is really aimed at little kids. Or it's stuff you can do pretty much in any decent sized city, like shopping or bar-hopping. Personally, it's not really the place I would go to visit unless I had to. 

Also, Dave Barry is a guy that writes funny editorials for the local paper and whatnot.

kinglog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • mpmarimba
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 10:32:51 am »

Alexander Springs and Silver River involve a bit of a drive but have good canoeing - we've put my mother between us and paddled her around. Silver River is farther but they have wild monkeys!

You can check out Orlando theater and music at http://orlandoweekly.com/

For driving adventures St. Augustine can be nice (oldest town in US), some like Mt. Dora (quaint old downtown), or even consider Tampa - it's about 90 minutes away but much nicer than orlando - they have museums, gulf coast beaches, aquarium. Kennedy Space Center is nice and next to the ocean.

the Central Park area along Park Avenue in winter park is good for shopping, people watching, or chilling with a cup of coffee - it's closer to Orlando. The Morse Museum of american art is there.

Hope some of this helps - Orlando is not great if you aren't into the attractions.