Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Inspired by the FB Atan post--A question for your consideration  (Read 682 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Inspired by the FB Atan post--A question for your consideration
« on: January 24, 2012, 05:30:12 pm »

if there's a lake and the beast is in the lake, and the dorfs kill it, and it had a syndrome, does the syndrome just wash off and not affect the dorfs at all?  or is the lake all full of syndrome now?

I know that wasn't the case here, but I was imagining this:

The marksdorfs kill it at a safe distance, and it makes with the syndrome
Later, other dorfs come to haul its corpse to the butchers.  Do they get whatever syndrome it had, or, does the water its in just wash it off?

I must pursue this for !!science!!
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Inspired by the FB Atan post--A question for your consideration
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 05:45:04 pm »

Depends if the syndrome is a contact syndrome. Even if the syndrome is washed off, if it's a contact syndrome they're still infected with it. If anything, being in water causes the syndrome to spread everywhere on their bodies, making things worse. At least the Doctors won't have to clean them though :p

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Re: Inspired by the FB Atan post--A question for your consideration
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 06:24:37 pm »

In my experience, what Loud Whispers said.  I've had plenty of FBs killed in the underground lakes, but too far for me to reach the body.  I've had a couple killed near shore, but I've left them alone too. 

When one of my dorfs gets syndrome on them, and goes to wash it off at the well, it will sometimes leave a pool of syndrome on the ground.  If another dorf goes to the well and steps in the syndrome but immediately washes it off - too fast for me to even catch them on the (v) screen has having beast blood on them - leaving them with a total-body water covering, they still get the syndrome.  (In one fort, where I had dorfs walking to the well, getting syndrome and passing out, having another dorf come to recover the body, getting syndrome, repeat.  I wound up having to seal the well off, including the passed-out dorfs, and flood with magma to finally get rid of the death puddles.)

If you (k) examine the water around the FB's body, you should still see "water laced with (name) blood/ichor/bleargh" which will get on any dorfs that step in it and infect them.

And that's assuming you can get your dorfs to haul it out of the water in the first place.  I haven't been able to get dorfs to go in the water to haul anything out.  The only way I've seen dorfs get in the water is by dodging in.

I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0