Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A mod where you play as a pre generated fortress?  (Read 1498 times)

mason531

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A mod where you play as a pre generated fortress?
« on: March 06, 2020, 11:59:55 pm »

Ok ok I get your all are gonna be like well hey why don't you just do a quick dig but that's not what I am after I want to start the game as a pre built Fortress like I see the capital of my civilization which I'm like I want to do control that ! Is there any mod ?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A mod where you play as a pre generated fortress?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 12:04:40 am »

On the emabrk screen you can choose to reclaim a ruined fortress. But, do you mean actually play as an already running fort?

Be aware that the populations of other fortresses can be anywhere between a few and a few thousand. Makes it a little unfeasible for the most part. They don't all appear in Adventurer when you visit, but you wouldn't be able to hide them all away in fortress mode.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 02:44:12 am »

You'd have to do a lot of dfhackery to be able to take over an existing, currently-inhabited fortress.

Shonai-Dweller is right that you can reclaim a ruined fort, though. The architecture would all be the same either way, but you'd be limited to the starting seven and waiting for migrants, and attracting the monarchy as per a normal game.

You could add a reaction to produce an obscenely valuable item at no cost and trade a couple to the first caravan for all their goods, and then offer a few more to the mountain homes to make you seem fabulously wealthy as of the start of the second year. That's about the safest, least-buggy way to go without using dfhack. Making dwarves default pets of the dwarven civ would let you buy dwarves on embark who should be controllable as normal units are, but would also do weird things like make the entire population of every world-gen site count as pets, so they'd get conquered, among other wacky behaviors.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 04:25:01 am »

Does emabrk-anywhere (I forget the exact name, some Dfhack thingy) work when you embark on top of a dwarf fortress? Or are all the inhabitants hostile or unplayable in some way?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 06:32:35 am »

Does it have to be a specific world/fortress/etc?

Could just use a save of a player fortress, though I'd totally understand if that's out of the question.
One wheel short of a wagon

mason531

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 08:12:10 am »

On the emabrk screen you can choose to reclaim a ruined fortress. But, do you mean actually play as an already running fort?

Be aware that the populations of other fortresses can be anywhere between a few and a few thousand. Makes it a little unfeasible for the most part. They don't all appear in Adventurer when you visit, but you wouldn't be able to hide them all away in fortress mode.

An already running fort

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 08:20:22 am »

The idea is possible, I think, with enough effort in DFHack. Probably not what you'd want, though.

I think it would require changing the game into thinking that fort is dead so it can be reclaimed. Then forcing an appropriate amount of migrants immediately or embarking with as many. Which begs the question - why not just reclaim another fort and do the same?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 09:46:56 pm »

Embarked on a fortress with embark-anywhere. 87 dwarves with professions already present, but they are all marked hostile in the Other units tab, and are all clustered in the Trade Depot for some reason. Tbh I didn't check whether my civilization was the same as the one of the fortress, but it's a pocket world with v. few civilizations and sites so it's probably a safe guess.

Might be possible to change the allegiance of the 87 dwarves though.

EDIT: Ordered all my dwarves to attack two pre-existing dwarves in succession, just to see what would happen. I think a couple pre-existing dwarves other than the ones I attacked joined in, but actually most of the big clump of dwarves in the center didn't join in on the combat, despite it happening right next to them, and in fact could be easily passed by one of my dwarves in military mode when I ordered him to explore a bit. Oh, and turns out the pre-existing population is actually closer to about 230. The rest were hiding in the ground.

Didn't try changing allegiance yet with DFHack, though.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 10:05:16 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Morning_Oak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 11:04:41 pm »

I've done this, if you use tweak makeown they act like act like citizens and will eventually petition to be full citizens. It can get dicey having an extra 50+ mouths to feed for however long it takes for them to join you. They can't be assigned labors and they guzzle all the food and booze.

I did this to a goblin fort and had the clown join my fort as a citizen. It was pretty fun.

mason531

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 08:19:11 pm »

I just thought hoe could we make the game think a fort is retired ?