Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Underhive Domestic creature brainstorming  (Read 2795 times)

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Underhive Domestic creature brainstorming
« on: January 20, 2012, 04:05:40 am »

Working through a list of creatures to mod in for an underhive mod. Cant think of any "domesticated" animals that the underhivers might farm. So far the list is decently sized with dangerous wild animals and nothing tamable.

Anybody know what people have for pets in the underhive or in any other 40k universe setting? Im not even sure what a 40k dog analogue is.

slawr34

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underhive Domestic creature brainstorming
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 07:35:41 pm »

Working through a list of creatures to mod in for an underhive mod. Cant think of any "domesticated" animals that the underhivers might farm. So far the list is decently sized with dangerous wild animals and nothing tamable.

Anybody know what people have for pets in the underhive or in any other 40k universe setting? Im not even sure what a 40k dog analogue is.

Grox!

Basically think a (non-feathered) velociraptor with a T-Rex head. Also, domesticated.
I'm keeping the necromancers busy by feeding them children.

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 09:10:12 am »

I always wondered what a Grox Rifle was... now I realise its the underhive equiv of an Elephant gun. Now I wonder... can we have Grox Milk/Cheese/Eggs? :D

Edit: Also if i give a powerful domestic creature the ability to become enraged... will they get enraged at everything or just enemies?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 10:12:32 am by Abregado »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 07:39:06 pm »

For dogs you could use cyber mastiffs. The necromunda police have them from what I remember. According to my dad (a long time 40k collector) there has been at least one dog miniature but that was years back.

Edit to add:
Wild animals inhabit the underhives, and just like humanity have not been untouched by their environment. Scavvy Dogs are like the Scavvies themselves in that they are twisted and degenerated from their natural state and also much like Scavvies they are ruthless survivors.
From http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Scavvies#Scavvy_Dogs

If they have the twisted form they should have the natural.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 07:40:47 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 03:02:59 am »

I knew I had this for some reason:
I'll be back with a more detailed and underhive-specific list once I dig up my Dark Heresy Creature Anathema and my old Necromunda 2nd Ed stuff.

EDIT:
As for domestics specifically, I'm not sure if they could grow Grox on fungus. As for cyber-mastiffs:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 03:57:59 am by NobodyPro »

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 04:02:10 am »

To avoid character limit:

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 04:14:28 am »

Yep the "Did you hear that" creatures and those from the original rule/source book are all in the list already. It was more the domestic creatures I was looking at filling up.

Cyber Mastiffs will be used by the Guilders and Arbiters but never as wild or domesticated creatures. Scavvy Dogs are now ON THE LIST as wild animals and pets for the future scavvy civ.

Just tested out giving current domestic animals [PRONE TO RAGE].. didnt seem to make them angry at me even when i was cutting their heads off at the butchery.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 04:16:32 am »

Grox!

Basically think a (non-feathered) velociraptor with a T-Rex head. Also, domesticated.
No kidding? I always pictured grox as a sort of grazing herd animal, sort of like a bison or something.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 04:47:37 am »

Domestic animals only seem to attack people by accident when crowded (make a 1x1 pasture for !!SCIENCE!!). Rage is just a combat buff, hence mega-badgers.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 08:24:18 pm »

Cyber Mastiffs will be used by the Guilders and Arbiters but never as wild or domesticated creatures. Scavvy Dogs are now ON THE LIST as wild animals and pets for the future scavvy civ.
Doesn't the existence of scavvy dogs imply the existence of normal dogs?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 11:03:27 pm »

Doesn't the existence of scavvy dogs imply the existence of normal dogs?

Implies that there are dogs in the hive somewhere. Perhaps they all suffer from scavvie syndrome? Either way since i dont have a domestic animal that can eat vermin, guard the stockpiles, ect, im putting dogs in. But... enhanced!

Im going for the feel that everything in the underhive can kill a man. So a single regular dog should be able to kill or at least seriously injure an unarmed/armoured civilian dude. Even the domestics should not be safe. All raw food items are inedible, and most one-time processed foods have very minor syndromes. "safe" in the underhive means "on the edge of unsafe". If i could add a syndrome to natural water sources i would do that as well....