Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modular burrow-based Fortress.  (Read 615 times)

Urist McEngineer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modular burrow-based Fortress.
« on: January 22, 2012, 01:49:58 pm »

Goodday to you fellow beardlings and beardless.

I have been working on and trying to design a modular fortress based around a vision of how it should look like and function.
One part of it is that I like odd numbers for mostly everything. I like spaceous design and the idea that industrial dwarves live in burrows where they have stockpiles to build from, their workshop and their personal room. Living blocks for dwarves that are not bound to a location for their work.

I also envision a central floor for facilities such as dining, hospital, jail etc which will function as one facility burrow to decrease the amount of burrows each dwarf must be assigned to.
4 generous staircases in the corners of the pattern.

There is only a slight problem. I am kind of landed in a viscious circle, I would like to play longer fortresses but I can't seem to organize it in the long run and I can't figure all the modules out because of my lack of lengthy fortress plays.

Currently I have this as a small sum of my ideas:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a64/OlMoth/ModularFortress.png

In the centre is a 4x 9x9 stockpile module. Left is a living block module. On the top was my idea for a workshop/living quarters and required 3x3 stockpiles to produce the goods or product desired.

Concrete questions: Stuff like how many farmers does it take to service a 3x7 field and such things as I need to take that into consideration for designing these modules.

I know many of you play freehand and don't like OCD fortresses, but if this even remotely interests you or you have ideas to add I would be very grateful.

Kind Regards,
Urist McEngineer.

Vrakanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modular burrow-based Fortress.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 02:15:31 pm »

Its a sound idea, but it might pose some challenges in the long term. I normally do 50 year fortresses in this style to see how advanced I can get them before I delete my saves.
I usually run a 3 tier design. I'll dig the main floor with a large foyer, branching off in 4 directions, one direction into a kitchen/distillery with my food stockpiles, another into my massive industrial area, and the third and fourth being my Massive meeting hall, and the hospital.

From the Meeting hall I always carve support pillars into the corner of the room as an aesthetic touch, but I channel out the back corner that they don't normally see and create upwards staircases. These lead up into a massive rotunda-esque room complex for my nobles, except the mayor because I fear that if he does something stupid I might accidentally magmafy my whole fort.

The lowest Tier of my complex is a series of halways and 3X3 rooms each fully stocked with the finest of things for my loyal dorfs.

Anything below that is for the mines.
Must've been a menacing wooden dildo trap.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
Re: Modular burrow-based Fortress.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 05:26:33 pm »

I have been thinking of that, im also thinking of making a fort with no central staircase, fun to explore, and also designed like a real fort, I will bookmark this topic to see how I could adapt the modular fort strategies into my own gameplay style.

do you mind if I burrow that design?
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."