Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Large Address Aware flag  (Read 1613 times)

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Large Address Aware flag
« on: January 12, 2012, 06:49:41 pm »

Recently Everquest (Ancient spagetti code from 1999) added the Large Address Aware flag to their executable. So did Skyrim (Modern code from 2011).

Upside: Not crashing to desktop just 'cause you crossed the 2 gig limit. Obviously a good thing, but it only gives a bit more room, not like going 64 bit. 16x16 embarks?

Downside: Possible corruption if the code isn't really 'Aware'. You might end up having random data overwriting your dwarfs. bugs that are hard to diagnose. But if the code is portable 'tween Windows and Linux, it's probably fine.

If Everquest hadn't done it I wouldn't suggest it for DF, but EQ is horrible twisted code, that has had high turnover in developers, such that the current devs don't even know how some core game mechanics work (like archery)... and it appears to work for them, so DF should be no problem.

It is just a bandaid, but bandaids are useful.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
Re: Large Address Aware flag
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 06:08:52 am »

This is relevant?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 06:23:03 am »

This is relevant?
It is.

If DF, could use Large Addresss for memory, take advantage whats in 64 bit OS, in 32 OS environments, it'll allow DF to goggle up more memory, which intern allows for just larger fortresses, or let smaller fortresses run even better.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 06:25:03 am »

I believe CFF explorer has the ability to add the flag without even having to bother Toady.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 06:26:34 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 07:59:58 am »

This is relevant?
It is.

If DF, could use Large Addresss for memory, take advantage whats in 64 bit OS, in 32 OS environments, it'll allow DF to goggle up more memory, which intern allows for just larger fortresses, or let smaller fortresses run even better.

Ah, i see.

Also, in turn*.

Also, you don't, need all, those, commas :P.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 01:24:49 pm »

But, Commas are, well, very fun to use, because, they annoy the hell, out of people.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 06:34:43 pm »

I'll try that CFF tool later, I did realize one other concern, the LAA flag might break DFHack and releated tools, like Therapist.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 12:24:02 pm »

Too many commas also make you sound like Captain Kirk.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 12:27:04 pm »

I believe CFF explorer has the ability to add the flag without even having to bother Toady.

It is one thing to hack it in.

It is another to actually allow for the program to make use of the extra space effectively and to make sure that no stability problems occur. This is a suggestion for the latter.

I'll try that CFF tool later, I did realize one other concern, the LAA flag might break DFHack and releated tools, like Therapist.

It might, but I have it on and see no problems.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 02:51:42 am »

It is one thing to hack it in.

It is another to actually allow for the program to make use of the extra space effectively and to make sure that no stability problems occur. This is a suggestion for the latter.

It might, but I have it on and see no problems.

Have you tried one of the embark sizes that would kill DF for lack of memory to see if it's doing any good?
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 01:28:51 am »

But, Commas are, well, very fun to use, because, they annoy the hell, out of people.

From what I've seen, Germans, who are learning English, or have it as a second language, tend to use commas where they usually don't belong, especially after nouns.