Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Playing Dwarf Fortress with a mac  (Read 2240 times)

ajeffreys

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Playing Dwarf Fortress with a mac
« on: January 16, 2012, 04:40:28 pm »

I've just downloaded the most recent version for Mac and I've been playing around with it for a few hours with some success. My main question is where can I find a tileset for mac, as all of them seem to be geared towards windows (understandably I guess). Any help would be great :)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Playing Dwarf Fortress with a mac
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 04:45:59 pm »

Tilesets are just pictures. OS shouldn't matter in the slightest.

ajeffreys

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 04:51:35 pm »

Sorry I'm completely new at this. Say I want to get the May Green one found here: http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php. It seem's to suggest I need to do something if it's for mac but can't understand what or how?

Charey Wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 12:50:38 am »

Any mod or graphics set should work for mac because it's just using a wrapper to run the windows version.;) Third party programs like DFusion however will require a mac version to run.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 06:36:18 am »

I'd suggest winebottler or something like that to play dwarf fortress. too much useful stuff happens on windowsland, sadly.

I'm using wineskin now
 http://wineskin.doh123.com/

because it has a more recent version of wine, but you have to launch everything from the command line for it to work properly with multiple programs, a limitation that winebottler http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/ doesn't have

there are many other wine wrappers for mac. including a macport one.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 09:55:02 am »

I'd suggest winebottler or something like that to play dwarf fortress. too much useful stuff happens on windowsland, sadly.

I'm using wineskin now
 http://wineskin.doh123.com/

because it has a more recent version of wine, but you have to launch everything from the command line for it to work properly with multiple programs, a limitation that winebottler http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/ doesn't have

there are many other wine wrappers for mac. including a macport one.

If you're going to be running DF through Wine from commandline* anyway, get Macports and build the latest Wine development version (wine-devel) from there. Wine is one of the few programs of which I make sure to have the latest version at all times, because even small updates in Wine can fix a lot of issues in running Windows programs.

I personally recommend the DIY DFG guide, which shows how to get the Mayday graphics set working on non-Windows copies of DF. It should also apply generally to other graphics sets, but I haven't tested it personally on anything but the Mayday set.

*You could always make a small bash script to act as a shortcut, too... Something like this:
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash
cd path/to/df/folder
wine Dwarf\ Fortress.exe
(I cd to the DF folder first rather than going straight to Wine because sometimes that makes the program to look outside its local folder for its constituent files, which can cause it to fail)
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

ajeffreys

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 10:35:47 am »

Thanks for all the help. I've installed macports, latest dev version of wine and winebottler. Fairly inexperienced with wine so going to have a play around and see if I can get it all to work. I'm basically trying to get this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0 to work on my mac, which I think is possible....

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 02:35:41 pm »

I've no experience with it, but it requires .net, for with you'll need some more stuff installed.

there is a program that help you in this, it's called winetricks.

I've found a tutorial here: it's for linux and probably outdated, but most stuff should apply
http://www.chimerarevo.com/2010/01/13/linux-ubuntu-installare-il-framework-net-su-wine/

ajeffreys

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 06:44:35 pm »

I managed to install .net ok, and also mono as it seemed to need that, however winebottler still spits errors out at me, so think I'm just going to leave it for now and just play DF with a texture pack for now :)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 07:39:53 pm »

Personally I think that unless you plan on using DF Hack or some other tool (not including therapist, which now has a mac version) then you should stick with the mac. Being a mac person myself (who has used windows as well!) if you only plan on running wine for DF alone its not really worth the amount of work it takes to set up wine to play something that works just as well on macs as it does on windows minus only a few third party programs that most people don't use anyways.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:44:11 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 02:51:09 am »

the only thing I ever miss from the native mac is dwarf therapist  :-\

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 09:25:03 am »

Therapist functions on both mac and windows, which are available here and here respectively.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 09:28:12 am »

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I read somewhere about a tentative port but the thread ended in nowhere, never had the idea of getting back and actually check with the port status

this changes everything!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 03:25:06 pm »

Yeah, I only stumbled upon it while reading the wiki once by accident (stumbling upon it that is, not reading the wiki :P). Apparently that is the only real place that it is ever mentioned anywhere since the main thread doesn't have anything on it (probably due to the OP not having been active for the last 8 months or so).

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 09:51:16 pm »

It's dead simple, actually. In the folder you have DF exported to (if you haven't fiddled with it, it should be the same one you go into to open DF) you will see a subfolder, data. Open data, then art, and you will a bunch of .bmp files with all of dwarf fortresses artwork in them. replace the images to taste.