Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Age of X  (Read 2822 times)

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
Age of X
« on: February 10, 2012, 07:50:55 am »

So I generate a large world for about 500 years, and apparently it's the Age of Heroes. The world has gone through the First Age of Myth, the Second Age of Myth, the First Age of Legend and the Second Age of Legend.

It's funny 'cos I searched through the Legends and apparently this age is the age when "powers clash and something happens" (I'm at work and can't really remember the descript in full).

Also, there are no Megabeasts. I modded Dwarves so that they are inatelly Legendary in everything. That way basically every megabeast died in a combat with a dwarf (after killing countless elves and humans).

So, how the hell do Ages work? I though the ages shifted as MB's died, but there's been 5 ages and a whole bunch of Dragons, Rocs and Bronze Colossi.

On a different topic, I'm so gonna mod Rocs back into being domestic and having [PET_VALUE=1]. There's nothing like embarking with 10 gargantuan pigeons that serve to rip Elves to death!
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Lumix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of X
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 07:52:49 am »

Well, Ages show who is more influences the world more.

If one dragon dominates majority of the world
It would be
Age of Dragon mcDragonface
I know it's fairly common but I killed 180+ people in his civilization before I went after him. I was kind of hoping for something a bit more substantial than a sucker punch and penis theft.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 07:56:26 am »

So the Age of Heroes is the age in which a Dwarf dominates the world? Pure, simple Utopia.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.

Lumix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 08:01:13 am »

I know it's fairly common but I killed 180+ people in his civilization before I went after him. I was kind of hoping for something a bit more substantial than a sucker punch and penis theft.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 08:04:00 am »

*Foreheadpalms*

The wiki...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 08:06:18 am »

So, how the hell do Ages work? I though the ages shifted as MB's died, but there's been 5 ages and a whole bunch of Dragons, Rocs and Bronze Colossi.
Ages are just like gigantic timemarks signifying an important occurrence of the world; usually this means that a certain power (titans or megabeasts) have died or a civilization has improved and spread out. Even dominating most of the world.

Edit: Link above explains everything.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 08:23:41 am »

I read the wiki article (productivity on a friday is always 5%...)...so there are more Ages to come...

Interesting. I shall generate a world for 2500 years to see what happens.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 08:30:04 am »

Good luck getting age of civilization or age of death  :P Good luck of getting age of kobold too!

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 08:34:26 am »

My ultimate goal is the Age of Fairy Tales, but Age of Civilization will do.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 08:39:10 am »

My ultimate goal is the Age of Fairy Tales, but Age of Civilization will do.

Ummmmmmmm.... Age of Fairy Tales is much more common than Age of Civilizations. Its basically human equivalent of "Age of [x race that is not human]" as there doesn't exist "Age of humans" Age of civilization is like age of fairy tales with ALL fantastic creatures dead, so its much more impossible to get in world gen than fairy tales as it basically only requires humans to be dominant.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 08:43:34 am »

I see. Age of Civilizations it is! At least migrant waves will still arrive. (no domestic Roc birds for me tho :()

Lumix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 08:44:29 am »

I see. Age of Civilizations it is! At least migrant waves will still arrive. (no domestic Roc birds for me tho :()

Domestic Carp is a much much better goal