Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DF Military Strategy  (Read 2292 times)

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Military Strategy
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 11:31:15 pm »

do wrestlers with mining skill still use there pick in combat?

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 11:45:54 pm »

I've trained up 3 legendary axedwarves in my fort, by using the official training method.It really works just fine, only took it 2.5 years.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 12:06:46 am »

do wrestlers with mining skill still use there pick in combat?
If they're equipped with picks, yes.
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Quote from: Elifre
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Zaphod728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 12:40:03 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ty, I have 2 more

1. What is the general opinion on batista? I have used them to limited effect, the reload time seemed fairly long (i had lvl 10+ siege operators). I didnt get vary many shots in before they run by. If you get the enemies trapped so your balistas can fire on them there are easier ways to kill them.

2. Is there a minimum down angle for archers to fire? Can they shoot down a z-level and forward 1 square?

I am really getting into making inventive ways to kill enemies without resorting to axes.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 12:54:19 am »

1) I personally hate the things. A single ballista bolt is far outmatched by a single legendary axedwarf.

2) They can, I don't think archers have a minimum angle of fire, either.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 01:18:05 am »

1. What is the general opinion on batista? I have used them to limited effect, the reload time seemed fairly long (i had lvl 10+ siege operators). I didnt get vary many shots in before they run by. If you get the enemies trapped so your balistas can fire on them there are easier ways to kill them.

2. Is there a minimum down angle for archers to fire? Can they shoot down a z-level and forward 1 square?

1. Ballistas are currently bugged in that they do blunt damage depending on the weight of the ballista arrow.

2. Shots fired close to the 1-down-1-forwards angle sometimes hit the floor under the archer's feet. 1-down-2-forwards never has this problem, so try to avoid steep shooting angles.

BONUS: DF does have flanking bonuses. If you read the combat logs (or play adventurer mode) you will sometimes see "from the side" or "from behind" in the attack text. I have verified through testing in arena mode that dodging is much less effective when the attack comes from behind. Nonsensically, shields are still very effective at blocking attacks from behind. Set up your forces to hit the goblins from 2 opposite sides. Creature facing is only defined during melee combat, so you could have archers on a ledge shoot the goblins in the back while axedwarves hack them from the front.

Zaphod728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 02:11:54 am »

ty

Just built a danger room and  :o.
Obviously its an exploit, but it would be cool if there was some sort of risk/reward for training.
Having a more aggressive training policy would increase the training speed but increase the risk of accidents.

Also, the poor cats  :'(. Guess sacrifices must be made.
Maybe it will make my military more hardened to seeing death.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 08:11:52 am »

I usually make the capt of the guard and his squad marksdwarfs with wooden crossbows. They hardly ever cause serious harm in beatings (all non miner/wood cutting dwarfs are in militairy and wear leather armor. Miners and cutters are rarely punished).
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Zaphod728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 02:04:24 pm »

So do you need to watch out for babies following their parents into the danger room? I didnt even think to check.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 02:13:00 pm »

I find keeping my guys together is easier when they are stationed on the rear side of a choke point. Conversely, the enemy tends to emerge from the chokepoint in a piecemeal fashion, so its usually one squad of goblins versus two of dwarves. Eventually your guys gain mad skilz and then it doesn't matter if they take on a whole siege singlehandedly.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar
Pages: 1 [2]