Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Transparent Miasma  (Read 565 times)

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Transparent Miasma
« on: January 17, 2012, 12:17:03 pm »

Miasma tends to make things difficult to see, this can be a hassle as far as finding what is causing the miasma and it also makes evil maps less attractive to some players.  if miasma were visually a background, underneath rather than on top of other objects that would make it both less obnoxious and more realistic, after all, the dwarves should have no trouble seeing through stench.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: Transparent Miasma
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 01:07:49 pm »

Miasma tends to make things difficult to see, this can be a hassle as far as finding what is causing the miasma and it also makes evil maps less attractive to some players.
That's exactly what miasma was made for.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 01:52:14 pm »

This isn't the easiest topic to search for, but it's already been discussed twice that I could find:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20548.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=33060.0

Spoiler: tags (click to show/hide)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 05:46:45 pm »

Miasma tends to make things difficult to see, this can be a hassle as far as finding what is causing the miasma and it also makes evil maps less attractive to some players.
That's exactly what miasma was made for.

It is?  Thought it was meant to be an angry thought generator for the dorfs, not for players.  I like this recommendation, and I'd go one further, and ask that it be toggled in LNP.  There is a place for it, but its not everywhere on the map.  Evil biomes have it everywhere, and its pressense, appears to break some of the AI.  The job task, hauling cages, for example, appears to become broken, when an undead miasma spewing monsters gets trapped inside..    This a reported bug?  Prolly.  Hopeso.  As its rather annoying having to personally find a miasma covered cage, and issue a d for dump on it, just to see the fortress entrance.

To me, this miasma, as it is, ruines the evil biome play.  I'd play more evil zones if miasma was minimized and toggled.  Great suggestion, Babylon. *thumb WAY up*
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.