Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Overflow of dwarfs  (Read 1369 times)

nutsshearer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Overflow of dwarfs
« on: January 17, 2012, 09:38:20 am »

So what the hell am I suppose to do with all these migrants!?

I have set my limit to 150. I now have 193 dwarfs. Its like the game doesn't care what I tell it.
Please no more dwarfs! SOUNDS LIKE TO ME YOU NEED MORE DWARFS.

So how do people keep them out of the fortress? Kill them? Drown them? Just flood the world with magma?
And if so, how to deal with the ghosts? Get a mass slab industry going?

Also what about children? I now got 30 dwarfs that can do absolutely nothing besides being a drain on the system.

Stefrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Overflow of dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 09:41:42 am »

You could implement a dorfy shield system, where you shield your fortress with new migrants.

If I remember correctly, the more brutally new migrants get slaughtered, the less new migrants you'll get.

(which does not explain the +43 dwarfs, as only babies ignore the cap)

nutsshearer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 09:44:23 am »

The last 3 waves was about 6 - 8 migrants in each.

So what you are saying is that I need to flood the world magma, yes?

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 10:10:14 am »

Embark upon a huge and elaborate construction and/or beautification programme with the surplus manpower, or raise a few more squads of militia.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 10:14:39 am »

Partition your fort into self-sustained community burrows. Here's some ideas that I almost never do because I'm a big idiot.

Build neighborhoods around the cool natural formations that you like the most, and give them their own farms and production workshops. Let friends move in together or be neighbors, build actual houses more involved than a 2x3 cubicle, with everyone's own bedrooms and profiled kitchen, still, dining room, tomb, and toilet (a refuse stockpile).

You can have special purpose burrows, like a creche to keep kids in assigned rooms until they grow up to be peasants. Ideally this would have the benefit of making it harder for goblins to abduct them.

Last idea is to put up a red-light district. Build seedy-hotel style dormitories, bordellos (good place to build ropes), and bars that you can decorate with statues that get built of the local lust gods.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 01:52:00 pm »

Getting a specific diety as a statue is hard.  Usually, I get statues of dwarves and animals.

I once had a duchess with a cutebold fixation, who was absurdly picky about her living quarters.  It took me forever to build enough kobold statues to go with the live kobold in the exquisite cage to finally shut her the hell up.

(Then she started whining about the broker's office being too nice. He had a 2x2 square made from constructed marerials and populated with crappy grade wood furnishings. He happened to be the book keeper, and needed an office. There was no pleasing that woman...)

The point though, was that you would have thousands of misc statues before you would have enough lust goddess ones.

Maybe if you conscripted only lust worhipers as masons.... but even then...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 02:02:57 pm »

The migrant cap only takes effect when a liason sees your fort, drowning in a million Dwarven babies, and decies; Hey, maybe there are too many Dwarves there. Lets not send our next fisherdwarf pilgrimage."

Also, military.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 02:04:33 pm »

Last idea is to put up a red-light district. Build seedy-hotel style dormitories, bordellos (good place to build ropes), and bars[!!] that you can decorate with statues that get built of the local lust gods.
Dwarf Fortress: Where the red-light district is 700% more hospitable and fancy than the rest of the fortress combined.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 05:17:32 pm »

Getting a specific diety as a statue is hard.  Usually, I get statues of dwarves and animals.

I always put my statues or dwarves around either as decorative pillars (imagine dwarves holding up the pillars that support the huge caverns) or in the necropolis because it would look totally boss!