Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minimal underground plants  (Read 1025 times)

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Minimal underground plants
« on: January 19, 2012, 01:20:21 pm »

I'm not really sure where else to put this. The only underground plants I have are blood thorns. And it's not just this world, I haven't generated a world with anything else growing underground for some time.

Does anyone know what might have caused this and how to fix it? I've made lots of minor tweaks, most of which I can't remember, and I'd prefer not to have to download a clean version.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Minimal underground plants
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 01:23:10 pm »

What kind of worlds are you generating?  In particular, how many cavern layers do they have?

Ferozstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes magma and dwarves for their macabre ways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 02:58:11 pm »

If the plants should be generated but are not, looks like a raw issue to me. Did you mess around with the tree/plant raws?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 03:41:34 pm »

Try going into advanced world gen and change the "Cavern Layer Water" (or something like that) from a minimum of zero to a minimum of 10ish and see if that fixes your problem. This is because blood thorns are the only vanilla plant with [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM] instead of [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER], meaning that they are the only plants that will spawn in the caverns if you get unlucky and don't have any water in your caverns.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 04:07:00 pm »

Try going into advanced world gen and change the "Cavern Layer Water" (or something like that) from a minimum of zero to a minimum of 10ish and see if that fixes your problem. This is because blood thorns are the only vanilla plant with [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM] instead of [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER], meaning that they are the only plants that will spawn in the caverns if you get unlucky and don't have any water in your caverns.

Ah, that must be it! I set the maximum amount of water in the caverns to pretty low, I think I set it at 10 (I don't have any underground water on my current map) because I hate having to mess with it.

Anyway, that's good to know, thank you.