Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kitchen Stockpile Help  (Read 410 times)

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
Kitchen Stockpile Help
« on: January 16, 2012, 12:36:12 pm »

Hello!

I'm trying to implement "intelligent" food stockpiles in my fort, which takes some time but I think it going to streamline things. I have a special seed only stockpile around my farm, and a special prepared food stockpile and a booze stockpile near my dining hall. Which leaves the intermediates. I have some questions about this.

The easy part is plants. The wiki is pretty clear on which plants can be eaten cooked and brewed, and I can easily create stockpiles for them near my stills and kitchens. however, there is no equally comprehensive set of info on non-plant food. For example, meat and all the offal, is that already cooked or is meat used as an input for prepared meals? How about fish, since there are two categories, fish and unprepared fish. Should unprepared fish go to kitchen and fish to dining hall, or can prepared fish still be cooked?

Basically I want anything ready to eat and drink down and fully processed down by the dining hall, and anything that (might also be ready to eat but) can be improved by further processing to stay in the kitchen/still area.

Thanks!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kitchen Stockpile Help
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 12:48:51 pm »

I believe meat and the edible offal can only form part of cooked meals (biscuits, thingumajigs and roasts), so need to be by your meal-cooking kitchens.  The fat becomes tallow at kitchens, also.  This is, by default, an automatic job, so may interfere with the cooking jobs, unless you're not too bothered, but taking it off automatic and setting it on repeat risks the job dropping due to the "no <material> available" cancellation.  Whether you then allow the tallow to be cooked, or feed it off into soapmaking, or (by allowing/disallowing different types of tallow for cooking) make it flow to both purposes, is up to you, but again you have to deal with "jobs cancelled when it's gone" issues, as with most non-agricultural output paths.

Unprepared fish is an input to a fishworker's workshop (IIRC, it's been ages since I've even bothered with fishing, actually) and is inedible in itself, but outputs as the prepared version of same, which I think is both a 'raw' and 'cookable' food, but someone else (or the wiki, somewhere, I'm fairly sure) will know for sure if I'm right about that latter.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 02:47:43 pm »

Meats (including organ meats) can be eaten raw, or cooked as part of a meal.  There's very little reason not to cook them, since you don't lose anything in the process and can combine multiple stacks of ingredients into a single stack of prepared food.

Fat is automatically made into tallow by the kitchen.  I don't think tallow is edible as-is, but it can be cooked into meals at the kitchen.  Annoyingly, tallow is generated as individual stacks of 1 unit each rather than single large stacks, so cooking it yields lots of little stacks of tallow roasts.  Useful for training up your cooks, I suppose.

Unprepared fish is what your fisherdwarves produce.  Most of this can't be eaten or cooked raw, although there are a few exceptions such as mussles, which can be cooked raw.  Raw fish is processed into fish at the fishery, at which point it can be eaten or cooked into meals.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 02:53:54 pm »

Thank you both. So I think I'm gonna leave my dining hall stockpile just 100% prepared meals.