Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 31.25 - Dwarfs are idle, even though they have stuff to do.  (Read 1461 times)

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
31.25 - Dwarfs are idle, even though they have stuff to do.
« on: January 15, 2012, 09:49:39 pm »

So - Exams are finally over so I thought I'd make a holiday themed fort in the taiga/tundra areas. Everything was going well until I noticed that several of my dwarves would get "stuck" in idle or a task.

I have 3? masons who refuse to do anything - they have plenty of jobs to do in accessible areas, yet they just sit "idle" in the meeting hall. I also experienced a group of dwarves carrying stone "stuck/idle" somewhere in a hallway. They refused to go to the destination with the stone, or drop them. They just stood there and got thirsty.

Is this normal? How do I get around this? :o
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 31.25 - Dwarfs are idle, even though they have stuff to do.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 09:54:02 pm »

They just stood there and got thirsty? See if you can draw a line between them and their destination, or alcohol or water.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 09:55:34 pm »

No clear reasons - They were very close to a central staircase going all the way up/down through the fortress. We are talking some 20-30 tiles at most from the central staircase to them/destination (in both scenarios)
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 09:57:08 pm »

No clear reasons - They were very close to a central staircase going all the way up/down through the fortress. We are talking some 20-30 tiles at most from the central staircase to them/destination (in both scenarios)

Try to move a military squad to their location.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 10:32:01 pm »

Do you have any burrows?

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 10:33:35 pm »

No burrows - I basically do not have anything that (to the best of my memory) should in any way screw up pathfinding - I use Therapist but that's about it (in terms of screwing with anything).

I'll try the military trick - maybe they'll reset their bevaiour if I give them a few weeks in the room o' spikes. ;D