Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: 2x2 map forts  (Read 5519 times)

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2x2 map forts
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2012, 09:15:23 pm »

Embark size and computer performance levels have an interesting hiccup; when you're computer is old enough (pre-multicore and such), all embark sizes cause equally bad FPS and there's nothing you can do about it.  It doesn't seem to matter if you use 2x2 embark sizes, you'll still wind up with 3 FPS by the time the caravan comes.  Have an old computer?  Play Dwarf Fortress!  Bring a book.  It's difficult, enraging, and  not practical in the least; it's like a dwarf megaproject just running the darn thing.

But yes, 2x2 areas are really good training grounds for teaching the importance of Z-level utilization.  They teach you to be compact, concise, and ingenious.  And because 1 square up is the same movement time to a dwarf on stairs as 1 square left or right, a cubic fortress is the perfect expression of efficiency the wiki keeps harping on.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2012, 10:44:50 pm »

Nanoforts are fantastic. My favourite modular room design, based on 11x11 squares, fits perfectly onto a nanofort map. It also forces z-level optimisation, which is important in building an efficient fortress.

The main problem with nanoforts is with caverns. Bloody things get in the way. My modular design strongly favours forts spread out over a minimum of 20 z-levels, and it is common for caverns to get in the way of that.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Shrimp

• Bay Watcher
  • Delicious Shrimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2012, 04:11:47 pm »

Let me just find some hosting space, and in the mean time consider that I'm using the native linux version. In case you play on windows this might be a problem - last time I tried to play a windows savegame on the native linux version I got some sort of raw screw-up resulting in a curious ability to produce lead bars out of plants and coal in the smelter (or something equally nonsensical).

Linux text files lack carriage returns. But I doubt this is your problem since saves are compressed. Use "unix2dos" to export any text files from Linux to Windows and "dos2unix" to do the opposite
Brilliant!

anzelm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2012, 09:29:50 am »

Rephikul: Here are the savegames. Do share any golden adamantine nuggets of insight, that you mine out. I'm terrible at fort efficiency and eager to improve.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5378

improve. One of the forts, toolrock can also be found on dfma:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10777-toolrock
And they raise their wooden pints
And they yoik and sing
And they fight and dance till the morning!
Pages: 1 2 [3]