Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hell below Earth, or: Fun spires, sky-piercing volcanoes, and lava (SPOILERS)  (Read 1803 times)

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile

Hi guys! I've got a pair of maps that I just have to share due to their extreme (and badly corrupted) nature. If anyone wants them, I can share the map files themselves, or the world generation.

I was attempting to make a nice cold, terrifying map, and manually tweaked the world gen text file past the limits DF would let me ingame. I now know why, as the maps it generated are all corrupted in one way or another. These two embarks were from the same world. The map-files linked are not wrong in any way, the maps look exactly as pictured.

The Fortress of Rungseal
A volcano reaches so far up into the sky that the top cavern sits well above ground level, bisecting the frozen brook. The cart sits (on level 182 of the map in the Archive) on the very edge of a near-perfect square of forest, directly south of the volcano.

But, to top it off-- in the lower left corner, an adamantine spire arcs up into the sky to the very top of the map, seven levels higher than where the cart embarks.

I thought this map would be nice for an extreme fortress, except I peeked around with dfhack and found a cube of Hell] sitting in the lower-right corner at the level of the second cavern. I don't really know what would happen if the second cavern was breached, but the open space reaches all the way to the glowing pit.

If you want the worldgen to embark on this map yourself, be prepared to wait a while (5-10) minutes to embark, and then another 10 minutes after unpausing as things fall all over the map.

The Fortress of Thinnedarmors
Much more peaceful and absolutely perfect on top, but beneath the surface is a landscape too dangerous to even mine in. Semi-molten rock reaches up to the first cavern on a large percentage of the map, causing the caverns to entirely flood with lava, and killing FPS until they eventually fill.

While they're ridiculous maps, I was trying to make something much less extreme, flora-wise. :(

Edit: Hidden all of the spoilery stuff, and the worldgen is below! I unfortunately can't find the embark for Thinnedarmors, but Rungseal is below. The actual embark is one square to the left of the picture, so that the volcano is not in the corner.

Worldgen:
Code: [Select]
Created in DF v0.31.25.

[WORLD_GEN]
[TITLE:VOLCANO ISLAND]
[SEED:656721021]
[HISTORY_SEED:2608403263]
[NAME_SEED:3677146645]
[CREATURE_SEED:875020719]
[DIM:257:65]
[EMBARK_POINTS:3000]
[END_YEAR:171]
[BEAST_END_YEAR:100:80]
[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:0]
[ELEVATION:1:400:800:800]
[RAINFALL:0:100:101:101]
[TEMPERATURE:25:50:101:101]
[DRAINAGE:0:100:101:101]
[VOLCANISM:0:100:3200:3200]
[SAVAGERY:0:100:101:101]
[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:3:2:0:1:0:1]
[RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[MINERAL_SCARCITY:2500]
[MEGABEAST_CAP:4]
[SEMIMEGABEAST_CAP:9]
[TITAN_NUMBER:5]
[TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER:80:0:100000]
[DEMON_NUMBER:22]
[NIGHT_CREATURE_NUMBER:22]
[GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:1:16:0]
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:3000:3000:0]
[PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:1]
[PARTIAL_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[COMPLETE_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[VOLCANO_MIN:400]
[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:0:0:0]
[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:500]
[RIVER_MINS:800:500]
[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1]
[OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
[SUBREGION_MAX:2750]
[CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:3]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:100]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:1]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:5]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
[LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]
[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
[CAVE_MAX_SIZE:25]
[MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:4]
[NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:6]
[ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:25]
[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:15000]
[SITE_CAP:400]
[PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
[ELEVATION_RANGES:136:272:136]
[RAIN_RANGES:0:0:0]
[DRAINAGE_RANGES:0:0:0]
[SAVAGERY_RANGES:0:0:0]
[VOLCANISM_RANGES:0:0:0]

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 01:31:16 am by Tokeli »

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

But, to top it off-- in the lower left corner, an adamantium spire arcs up into the sky to the very top of the map, seven levels higher than where the cart embarks.

adamantium spire

adamantium

What is this "adamantium" you speak of?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

kingofthescots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

lol @ post above.

That "Fortress of Rungseal" map looks interesting. If you could post the code that generated it, and the location on the world map, that would be awesome. And you really don't need to pierce the second cavern until you've outfitted your entire military in adamantine armour and weapons. You could even give them adamantine cloaks and hoods, you'd have so much of the stuff. I would be tempted to pave the roads in adamantine.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, these maps look pretty cool! Thanks for sharin' them and all, and the catchy title is all well and good, but...
Could you please, please spoiler the title? Perhaps put "SPOILER below Earth, or: SPOILER SPOILER, SPOILER & SPOILER", and then put the title in the post?
Just 'cause it's always sad when new players have all the Fun of discovering What Lies Below on their own... ;)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Adamantium.

Adamantium.

RAWR

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile

This guy has presented us with a holy grail of dwarfiness and you're complaining about his spelling?
くコ:彡

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

This guy has presented us with a holy grail of dwarfiness and you're complaining about his spelling?

Others have existed before, and yes, we are DF players :D