Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giving water to patients  (Read 1072 times)

PsychicKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Giving water to patients
« on: January 12, 2012, 08:48:00 pm »

I was forced to open my first hospital to tend to a horrible mining accident that resulted in a broken arm, shoulder, and leg, and by sheer luck, I happened to have some of the bare minimum needed to use the hospital (except soap).

(This is what I had based on my embark profile. I'm not 100% on their uses in the hospital but here's what I had anyway)

[ITEM:1:THREAD:NONE:PLANT_MAT:GRASS_TAIL_PIG:THREAD]
   [ITEM:1:CLOTH:NONE:PLANT_MAT:GRASS_TAIL_PIG:THREAD]
   [ITEM:1:BOX:NONE:PLANT_MAT:GRASS_TAIL_PIG:THREAD]
   [ITEM:1:CHAIN:NONE:PLANT_MAT:GRASS_TAIL_PIG:THREAD]
   [ITEM:1:QUIVER:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:GOAT:LEATHER]

But enough backstory. The patient's been reduced to just fractures and "the big scary yellow/red letters" in the health care screen have been reduced to only a few, thanks to my supplies and very quickly building splints and a traction bench, but I keep getting spammed with cancelations that they can't find an empty bucket to give water. I've made like 3 buckets now to appease my stupid dorfs but what the heck is going on? Do buckets get "used up" or something? Help before this fool dies of thirst.

Edit Update:

Well, now I'm getting a new message, saying there is no water source... and sure enough, the river and ponds outside are all frozen. The only other source of water I have is in the caverns, but my only miner is currently "on break." In order to prevent FUN from the caverns, is it possible to mine out chunks of frozen pond to somehow produce water, or is sending a mook down to the caverns with a bucket the only option?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:58:46 pm by PsychicKid »

The Axiom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Giving water to patients
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 09:11:34 pm »

From the wiki

Caving in an ice wall into a stone layer will cause it to instantly melt into water (provided it does not become exposed to the outdoors), which can be used to get water near the surface in a glacier biome without having to use a pump stack to pump water up from a cavern pool.

Not 100% on how you would go about this and it may or may not be more dangerous than caverns for you to acheive.

NINJA:  Actually apparently if you just roof over it it will be classed as (inside) which if you cave it should thaw and prevent refreezing. As according to the wiki it is the Inside/Outside tag not the Above Ground/Subterranean that prevents freezing from occuring.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 09:13:41 pm by The Axiom »

PsychicKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 09:12:53 pm »

Well I just tunneled down to the caverns and I keep getting No Water Source messages.

The Axiom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 09:15:43 pm »

You need to set the water source as a zone

From wiki:

Dwarves will draw water from this zone to satisfy their thirst, to tend to another thirsty dwarf, or to fill a Pond zone.

Only tiles adjacent to water qualify as usable water sources - thus, if you want to place a single-tile zone, place the zone onto a ground tile next to the water, not over the water itself.

Edit:Spelling
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 09:17:29 pm by The Axiom »

PsychicKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 09:20:23 pm »

You need to set the water source as a zone

From wiki:

Dwarves will draw water from this zone to satisfy their thirst, to tend to another thirsty dwarf, or to fill a Pond zone.

Only tiles adjacent to water qualify as usable water sources - thus, if you want to place a single-tile zone, place the zone onto a ground tile next to the water, not over the water itself.

Edit:Spelling

Sweet, that did the trick. Thanks. Now to go wall off the caverns before something horrible makes its way upstairs.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 09:21:20 pm »

NINJA:  Actually apparently if you just roof over it it will be classed as (inside) which if you cave it should thaw and prevent refreezing. As according to the wiki it is the Inside/Outside tag not the Above Ground/Subterranean that prevents freezing from occuring.

Then the wiki is wrong.  I have personally built freeze traps and verified that Inside/Outside status is irrelevant to whether water will freeze.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

The Axiom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 09:43:01 pm »

Then the wiki is wrong.  I have personally built freeze traps and verified that Inside/Outside status is irrelevant to whether water will freeze.

I'm thinking of evaporation aren't I... Wow... oops o.0