Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: We want to translate the game, can we do that?  (Read 2207 times)

ATiGr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
We want to translate the game, can we do that?
« on: January 12, 2012, 08:50:30 am »

Hi Today One & ThreeToe,

I am a loving fan from China and I just love DF so much. And some of my folks might have found a way to make a small program to enable the usage of Chinese or other languages in the game.

Because I love the game so much that I think this would help the game spreading in non English speaking regions. And may also lead to more donations from the globe.  ;)

I was wondering if there's any restrictions for us to do that? Should we obtain some form of approval or permission?

I respect the people who made this game so I don't want to violate any rules.. Cheers!

Actually I don't know who should I contact and don't know where is the best place to put up this post. Please anyone, give me some advise or direction. Thanks a million!

Sincerely,
   Alexander Wang from China

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: We want to translate the game, can we do that?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 10:13:17 am »

There's no good way to translate most of the game's text right now, but it's an eventual goal:
Quote from: dev_single
# Core54, TRANSLATION SUPPORT, (Future): Announcements and other interface text needs to come out of the game and be placed in an editable format to support any potential translators, though current font implementations restrict this process at the moment if non-ASCII characters are to be involved.

ATiGr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 11:28:16 am »

There's no good way to translate most of the game's text right now, but it's an eventual goal:
Quote from: dev_single
# Core54, TRANSLATION SUPPORT, (Future): Announcements and other interface text needs to come out of the game and be placed in an editable format to support any potential translators, though current font implementations restrict this process at the moment if non-ASCII characters are to be involved.

Thanks for replying. Actually I am just asking if we need to get a permission or something.

Because we actually may have found a way to implement characters. I am not the techman my friend. But here's a screenshot for our progress.

But of course this is still under experiment. We just want to get the permission to avoid the efforts here be wasted.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 11:30:54 am by ATiGr »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 11:34:27 am »

If you're accomplishing that by modifying the executable, then yes, you should send a PM or email to Toady One to discuss whether it's permitted.  Here's the portion of the readme that pertains to modifying and redistributing the game:

Quote from: readme.txt
Copyright (c) 2002-2011.  All rights are retained by Tarn Adams, save the following:  you may redistribute the binary and accompanying files, unmodified, provided you do so free of charge.  If you'd like to distribute a modified version of the game or portion of the archive and are worried about copyright infringement, please contact Tarn Adams at toadyone@bay12games.com.

ATiGr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 11:55:12 am »

If you're accomplishing that by modifying the executable, then yes, you should send a PM or email to Toady One to discuss whether it's permitted.  Here's the portion of the readme that pertains to modifying and redistributing the game:

Quote from: readme.txt
Copyright (c) 2002-2011.  All rights are retained by Tarn Adams, save the following:  you may redistribute the binary and accompanying files, unmodified, provided you do so free of charge.  If you'd like to distribute a modified version of the game or portion of the archive and are worried about copyright infringement, please contact Tarn Adams at toadyone@bay12games.com.

I guess we are modifying the exe file indeed. And maybe I'll ask for todayone another time. Because last time our people tried but no response was received yet.

Thanks a lot for your tips!! :)