Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water pressure isn't working?  (Read 574 times)

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
Water pressure isn't working?
« on: January 10, 2012, 11:03:10 pm »

Here is my setup:

xxxxxxxx
xVssHHx
xxxxxxxx

X= wall
V= hole
s= screw pump
H= floor

Above the rightmost H is an empty hole attached to tunnel that leads to the river. For some reason, the water isn't pressurizing, and therefore can't be pushed up and out. What do I do?
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Water pressure isn't working?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 11:19:29 pm »

When water runs into a pump it is only pressurized to the level that the pump is at an will rise no further. In this case that means that the pump you have there will happily fill up the level that it is on, and if it goes down a hole it will rise until it meets the level of the pump, but it will never go any higher then that unless you have another pump on a higher level.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 11:36:08 pm »

When water runs into a pump it is only pressurized to the level that the pump is at an will rise no further. In this case that means that the pump you have there will happily fill up the level that it is on, and if it goes down a hole it will rise until it meets the level of the pump, but it will never go any higher then that unless you have another pump on a higher level.

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUU

That's pretty stupid :/

Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 04:44:16 pm »

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUU

That's pretty stupid :/

If it were otherwise, pumps would be even more stupid.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 06:08:52 pm »

It's because screw pumps are based upon the historical Archimedes Screw, which would only transfer water to a higher elevation, and was not actually tight enough to create pressure. If you used a Archimedes Screw and actually did attempt to pressurize something, then the water would simply refuse to flow up the screw, therefore causing the pump to act exactly as it does in DF where the only "pressure" that can be created is by gravity itself pulling the water down and then the pump equalizing its elevation level.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.