Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I mod to play human?  (Read 441 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I mod to play human?
« on: January 23, 2012, 04:33:27 pm »

Lately I've been having quite a lot of !FUN! playing as "human" above-ground, but really just playing as dwarves with above-ground structures.

But I hear you can mod your game to actually play as human? How do I do that?

And also, what happens to your civ? Do you get a human civ with human items on embark? Will I be able to produce human-sized armour, for example? What about trade, do I get a trade caravan from the mountainhome, only one that's actually human or something?

Thanks for any help
Feeling down? Click Here!

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I mod to play human?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 04:49:39 pm »

Essentially all you need to do is open your Raws/Objects folder, open entity_default.txt with a basic text editor, and add [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] under humans. Removing it from Dwarves is recommended, or at least was last time I payed attention because it can cause them to not trade. Playing as humans will be different. For starters they don't need alcohol and actually it pretty much has the same effects alcohol deprivation has on dwarves. You won't be able to make steel nor process candy nor a few other things that are uniquely Dwarven and and I believe they don't have all of their nobles set up properly.

I know some time ago Deon released a small Human Fortress mod but it would be a good deal out of date by now but if you make liberal use of the wiki it shouldn't be too hard to tailor things to your liking, Dwarf Fortress modding is actually very easy once you learn the basics.

EDIT: Forgot to mention for any of these changes to take effect you MUST generate a new world afterwards.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 04:55:58 pm by guale »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 05:04:35 pm »

Regen has what you want, You can play it (V4.4 is slightly bugged but I got some of the bug fixes on the OP) or you can poke around the PLAINS entity and see what you need for your own

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 05:05:54 pm »

You horrible...surface-dweller.

You want to live within the sight of that accursed orb? What are you, an elf?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 05:28:43 pm »

You horrible...surface-dweller.

You want to live within the sight of that accursed orb? What are you, an elf?
Nope I still tunnel down into the earth until my skin is a nice pasty white :P