Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Evil areas,  (Read 1844 times)

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
Evil areas,
« on: January 10, 2012, 12:44:07 pm »

When I first started playing this game while searching for embarks I would see the Evil areas and wonder if there was any sort of back story behind why that particular area is more evil than the area right next to it. I don't know what exactly causes an area to be genned as "evil". I always figured that it was the site of some historical battle, or where a dark lord settled down and was overthrown. Like Mordor after the 1st defeat of Sauron. Embarking at a site across the street from Utumno or Angband would probably be challenging.
I suppose that deity x could have punished civilization y out of boredom, spite, or humor. Or some necromancer lord could have cursed the area just for giggles. Maybe a Battlefailed sequel took place and the area has become a dwarf Superfund site until the lethal levels of soul radiation fades to background levels or the universe ends.
It would be interesting to see how these sites came to be, depicted in legends mode. Thoughts?

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evil areas,
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 01:21:36 pm »

Probably a bunch of complicated reasons that can be modeled but not fully reconciled, like any thing that can occur. Like how lightning is modeled as the movement of negatively charged particles (loosely speaking), but the actual minute interactions that occur in reality may have more factors that can't be measured, and are also indifferent to labels of 'positive' and 'negative', which are only additive or subtractive in a specific, arbitrary context, and even when modeled accurately enough for observation and description in natural language, there are thousands and thousands of variables to monitor. A wizard did it.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 01:46:40 pm »

I believe Toady has plans to make evil areas arise out of historical events in some far off future update.  What would qualify for this sort of thing?  Not terribly sure, but battles would be a natural choice.  With the new necromancers I can imagine that they'll cause areas to become evil or something too, potentially.

Or just curses from the gods, perhaps some silly dwarf (or human, since they're the only ones who go searching for stuff like this in the upcoming version I think) ticked off a god and the god punished his folly by cursing the lands around him.  I dunno.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 03:29:27 pm »

As Toady removed the hard definitions of "zombie" and "skeleton" in favour of a more gradual sliding scale of 'undeadness', I believe he also said one day he intends to remove the "good, neutral, evil" and savagery axes in favour of more fluidly (and randomly) defined regional states. That is when he will probably come up with reasons why region X had quirk Y. How that will interact with the different planes of existence he's planning to have for the magic arc (decades down the line), we don't know.

Who knows, maybe one day aeons later, the player might be able to influence the alignments of regions. Why is this region raining blood with eerie glowing mists that make victims explode? Because YOU desecrated the land.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 04:13:11 pm »

Who knows, maybe one day aeons later, the player might be able to influence the alignments of regions.
OMG... Every fort is not only capable of leaving a giant hole in the ground surrounded by corpses, but it may also bring massive amounts of mutated freaks in to the world. Causing an area to change alignment is the cherry on my fallout cake :D
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 04:24:30 pm »

Who knows, maybe one day aeons later, the player might be able to influence the alignments of regions. Why is this region raining blood with eerie glowing mists that make victims explode? Because YOU desecrated the land.

Most plaers would do that at the drop of a hat just to weaponize them - eerie glowing mists make great siege defences!
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 04:55:08 pm »

Assuming the gloom can be controlled... I presume that it won't wander through walls, but who knows?  I'm sure there will be hilarious bugs anyway for a while.

Now imagine if the gloom can form spontaneously inside your fort...

Or imagine that the gloom makes the goblins immune to pain.  Could backfire in a very dorfy manner.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 12:09:46 am »

Most plaers would do that at the drop of a hat just to weaponize them - eerie glowing mists make great siege defences!

No. How could you weaponize eerie glowing mist? Clearly it is meant for hospital use only.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 08:34:53 am »

Well between mermaid farms, dwarven child care centers, constant elf slaughter, and Project Fuck the World devices, the typical player should probably have no problem turning the whole map purple!
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath