Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Looking for a job: Isn't everybody?  (Read 2232 times)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a job: Isn't everybody?
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2012, 02:28:35 pm »

Speaking as someone who fell for a very similar scheme a few years ago, steer well clear.

Chances are they'll have you going door to door on a commission only basis after trying to reel you in with potential earnings of six figure salaries.  The offices will be nice (if a little small) and there will be several other people (generally as many as the vacancies they are advertising) waiting for an interview too.  Guess what?  You will all get the job.

In a lot of cases you have to cover your own transport costs and some even require a (generally small) initial investment for 'training'.  It's called multi-level marketing (look it up) and is extremely similar in structure to a pyramid scheme.  They will try and pressure you into recruiting friends and blatantly lying to potential customers.  After two weeks (90 hours) of working in a similar role, I was £60 up.  That's 50% of what I would have gained from unemployment benefits.  Many of these operations (google The Cobra Group for a prime example) consist of a parent company using many different subsidiaries to compete with each other and help disguise the nature of the business.

I wish you the best of luck finding sustainable employment, but this just isn't it. 

Out of curiosity, what is the company's name?

Try to find a temp agency.  It's income.  Enough to potentially get your own place.  More importantly, temp agency work actually looks surprisingly good on your resume.

Dont know what its like there, but temp agencys dont take anyone anymore - they just advertise jobs.

That's incorrect.  I've worked for temp agencies in the past and would highly recommend it if a decent one can be found.  They do generally take a percentage of your wages, but you'll still usually (in my experience anyway) make a little more than you would if you were directly employed by the company.  The downside is that you'll have next to no job security.  A lot of employers really like seeing a significant period of agency work on a CV, as it shows you to be adaptable and unafraid of change.

Fraid not. I've worked for them before too, where I am they no longer 'hire' people and find work for them. Theyre just glorified bulletin boards, I.E they dont do anything but advertise jobs you can find youself in under 1 minute on the internet. Infact several of them have closed down in the last few years.

Also, the 'being paid more' is absolute nonsense. They absolutely minimise your wage to the minimum wage in order to trim a profit for themselves. At least in this recession they have been doing that.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2012, 02:31:25 pm »

Learn Java.  It's very commonly used in the real world.  It has a massive amount of online documentation.  And Max White and I are writing tutorials for it over in General Discussion in the current Programmers thread.

Here's my very beginning intro tutorial.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=98412.msg2884133#msg2884133

As one of the many dabbling programmers on bay12, I will have to take a look at this!!

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2012, 12:49:33 pm »

So many people around here it as me. How odd >.>

I live in Michigan also. The lack of jobs for the unskilled around here is a little unsettling.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2012, 05:16:43 pm »

Agreed. I have an appointment with whatcha call and MRS counselor on the 17th. Hopefully she can help me out a bit.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2012, 05:20:27 pm »

I've got causal work but it's only in the horse-racing season, so I spend from spetember to may out of work. Good thing I've got my student loan. (well sorta)
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2012, 06:34:04 am »

Want a good paying job? Want to get away from moms house?

Become a truck driver. Every family needs a black sheep, why not you?

Lots of companies have paid training, which may not pay the best but gives you the skills to later move into a nice $60k/year job at another company, which most of it would be sitting in a bank making friends if you are single.

right before the economy tanked I worked at a hospital, in the supplies dept. lucky to bring home$500 every two weeks, now I avg about $1k a week.
Pages: 1 2 [3]