Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Murdoch and the BBC  (Read 1409 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Murdoch and the BBC
« on: January 27, 2012, 06:06:41 pm »

I generally don't post these here, but this is particularly close to my heart and I figure at least a few folks here will agree with me.

For those unaware of it, the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) is the largest broadcaster in the world, providing (mostly) neutral and unbiased news as well as entertainment.  A large portion of it's funds come directly from the British public via TV licenses, which all individuals and/or business who receive television broadcasts are required to pay annually.  The message I received from Avaaz summarises the current issue far more succinctly then I'm capable of, so I'll copy it into this post.

The BBC is being forced to hand over tens of millions of pounds every year to line Rupert Murdoch’s pockets. Murdoch’s cronies in government are determined to save this scheme -- but together we can stop this outrage.

These unbelievable regulations cost our public broadcasters up to £100 million a year. Rather than being paid for their valuable content, they actually have to pay BSkyB to show their programmes. This extortion is unprecedented in any other Western country -- and a sign of Murdoch’s shocking power.

In coming days, Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt will decide whether to renew this dreadful deal -- and Murdoch's scandals have put him on the back foot. Our pressure can stop this BBC robbery. Click here to send your message to Hunt now:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_murdochs_bbc_robbery_2/?vl

These are our millions -- handed over in license fees to fund British content, not to boost Murdoch’s profits. But an unfair system of “retransmission fees” designed by Murdoch leaves the BBC and other broadcasters with no choice. They are forced to pay BSkyB to show their channels, even though they add huge value to the satellite platform -- accounting for 41% of all shows watched on BSkyB and vastly increasing customer retention.

Amazingly, Murdoch has argued the exact opposite in the US -- there, he charges cable TV companies over $250 million a year to show his content. With the same deal Murdoch gets in the US, our public service broadcasters would have hundreds of millions of pounds extra every year to invest in quality content. This money would allow the BBC to reverse its cuts to BBC4 and local radio overnight.

Murdoch's cozy relationship with our politicians has won him this outrageous UK scheme -- but his power is starting to crumble, and together we can end it. Labour has already come out against this deal, and Culture Secretary Hunt is about to make his decision in his communications review -- send your message now to make sure he stops this outrage:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_murdochs_bbc_robbery_2/?vl

Avaaz members in the UK and around the world are leading the charge against the Murdoch mafia. Last year, we helped kill his proposed takeover of BSkyB and won press inquiries he didn’t want. Now, we can stop this BBC robbery. By continuing to challenge his corrupting influence where ever it appears, we can reign in Murdoch’s empire for good.

With hope,

Emma, Brant, Michael, Ricken, Alice and the rest of the Avaaz team

SOURCES

Re-transmission fees in the UK: the case for change (independent report):
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/reports/pdf/RetransmissionandAccessChargesReview.pdf

How the BBC can stand up to parasitic Sky (The Guardian):
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jan/02/maimed-bbc-parasitic-sky

Broadcasters union backs call for reform (BECTU):
http://www.bectu.org.uk/news/1408 

TL:DR version: Evil Murdoch is charging the BBC (and therefore the British public) insane amounts of money for the privilege of showing their programmes, while running the exact reverse of this scheme in America, where they are charging cable companies to show their programmes.

I'll be much obliged if anyone cares to sign this.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:09:34 pm by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Murdoch and the BBC
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 06:13:59 pm »

a few folks here will agree with me.

You betcha.

Theoboldi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 06:31:55 pm »

Consider this signed by me. Seeing this guy make millions of tax-payers that could be used for some of my favorite shows just makes me rage.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 03:49:34 pm »

Thanks guys :)
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 04:31:26 pm »

Sooner Murdochs body keels over and the demonic entity that lives inside his withered carcass wanders off the better
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 04:49:34 pm »

Signed.  Consider the good the BBC does with the money it has.  Now consider the good it can do with the money it gives to Murdoch.