Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunter won't hunt  (Read 15974 times)

jdiddleymspot

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Killer
    • View Profile
Hunter won't hunt
« on: April 30, 2010, 04:50:45 am »

I have no idea why not.

I checked out the thread here:-

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53156.msg1139637#msg1139637

I tried that workaround but to no avail. There are huntable animals on the map, enough bolts, a crossbow, enabled the bolts through the military screen, but nothing works. I tried turning the skill on and off and hiring a manager. There is just no reason why he shouldn't be hunting.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:55:13 am by jdiddleymspot »
All dwarfs have beards and wear up to twelve layers of clothing. Gender is more or less optional. - Terry Pratchett "Guards, Guards"

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter won't hunt
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 05:07:00 am »

I do not believe managers have the authority to hand out arrows. IIRC it is your arsenal dwarf that does that unless you don't have one.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

jdiddleymspot

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 05:18:23 am »

This is just after embark, so my fortress has yet to reach 20 dwarves, which is the lower limit for an arsenal dwarf, I think. One thing I notice, is that he picks up the equipment and then just idles.
All dwarfs have beards and wear up to twelve layers of clothing. Gender is more or less optional. - Terry Pratchett "Guards, Guards"

jdiddleymspot

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 02:18:00 am »

I'm still having trouble with this.

Hunter Jobl:.....................Check
Ammo:............................Check
Ammo Accessible:.............Check
Ammo Selected in Military:..Check
Crossbow:.......................Check
Turned off/on hunter job:..Check
Huntable Animals:.............Check

I just don't know what is wrong.

I'm using Phoebus' graphic set if that makes any difference at all.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 02:20:19 am »

Does he have any quiver? They are now required for hunter/marksdwarves.

jdiddleymspot

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 02:26:41 am »

He had a Warthog leather quiver and I thought this might be the problem so I made him dump it. I'll give it back and see if it helps any.

jdiddleymspot

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 02:38:17 am »

No, it doesn't seem to work.

jdiddleymspot

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 03:06:33 am »

He seems to be stuck with the job "Go to Archery Practice", but he's just stood outside the fort doing nothing.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 03:27:09 am »

He seems to be stuck with the job "Go to Archery Practice", but he's just stood outside the fort doing nothing.

Did you recruit him? I've been having troubles with militia members not doing their civilian duties, that might be the issue. Also, did you assign him metal bolts? I think hunter will only use those, but I am not sure whether you can assign them wooden/bone bolts or not. If it isn't any of these, then I have no idea what's the problem. The "Go to Archery Practice but stand still for the next six months" is a known issue with marksdwarves (and even former marksdwarves).

P.S. Next time edit your previous message instead of posting 3 times in a row  ;)

jdiddleymspot

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 03:38:44 am »

I've recruited released him several times, trying to get him to work. I'll try adjusting his ammunition preferences.

Thanks for the help.

Totte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 05:29:31 pm »

The lame ass Elfs got killed in a ambush, leaving their wooden crap on my trade depot. A hunter grabs a bow and put bolts in his quiver. How do I remove his item? dumping or forbidding dosnt seem to work. Has he grown attatch to it? I dont want my dwarf to hunt with gay elven bows.

Edit: Unassign him from hunter labor made him dump his bow. Reassinged him made him pick up a crossbow. :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 05:40:07 pm by Totte »