Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Residential burrows?  (Read 327 times)

Stargazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Residential burrows?
« on: January 08, 2012, 08:22:17 pm »

Now, I've used burrows for a while, mainly of the "Red Alert" type where I just order all my civilians to GET TO THE CHOP...er, I mean, order all my civilians to stay indoors.

I was wondering how effective or efficient it would be to, instead of creating one or two large dormitory levels, split the quarters up so that the workers are closer to their respective industries? I realize that there would still be the whole 'noise' issue to deal with (If that's still in effect? I assume that a 4 floor buffer is still required between a workshop and living quarters in order to eliminate noise causing dwarves to become grouchy? How much does these really effect their mood?).

And, if I did split up residential districts, is it worth confining the dwarves to their specific work areas? I'd expect I'd still need a food/booze stockpile, water source, and dining areas for each burrow, so I'm just not sure if this would be more effective than simply having a single giant living complex somewhere in the middle of my fort.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 08:35:27 pm by Stargazer »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Residential burrows?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 09:36:45 pm »

It does increase efficiency somewhat, though depending on how you do it it might not increase efficiency enough to make it worthwhile.

An important thing to note, though, is that if you assign dwarves to a burrow through the burrow menu (as opposed to with an alert), you can assign each dwarf to more than one burrow. For instance, you might have one burrow that contained the metal stockpiles and forges, a second that contained the bedrooms near the forges, and a third that contained the central food/drink/meeting areas, assign your smith to all 3, and they'd be able to do jobs in all 3 burrows. This means that you don't really need separate food or drink stockpiles for each burrow, since you could make a burrow that contained the main ones and just assign everyone that is assigned to any burrow to that burrow.

Also note that alert burrow restrictions and normal burrow restrictions work differently. First of all, alert restrictions supersede normal ones. This means that if your emergency shelter burrow doesn't include someone's workspace, they'll stop work as long as the alert is on. Second, alert restrictions demand that your dwarves all get inside the burrow, but normal restrictions just don't allow assigned dwarves to take jobs or use items outside the burrow (unless the job is eating or drinking and they're starving or dehydrated). This means that idle dwarves can go outside their burrow, and no problems are caused if non-alert burrows aren't contiguous. Since dwarves often choose to idle where their last job was, they'll sometimes choose to go to unsafe locations, even if burrowed.

One more thing: word of Toady is that workshops do not generate noise, so that's not a concern.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Residential burrows?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 09:47:11 pm »

I was wondering how effective or efficient it would be to, instead of creating one or two large dormitory levels, split the quarters up so that the workers are closer to their respective industries?
The flow goes like this, resource gathering -> resource stockpile -> processing -> product stockpile -> depot

Note that movement of things to the depot is time critical since they wont sit around waiting forever. Thus for maximum efficiency, I'd say it's most efficient to make the stockpiles near the depot and the workshops near the stockpile. Ultilize multiple layers as needed, for example:

Code: [Select]
X___________X Z 1 (go up as needed)
X___DDDDD___X Z 0
X___TTTTT___X Z -1
XBBBBBBBBBBBX Z -2
XWWW_WWW_WWWX Z-3 (go down as needed)

X: stairs
_: stockpile
D: Depot
T: dining room
B: Dorm room
W: Workshops

I realize that there would still be the whole 'noise' issue to deal with (If that's still in effect? I assume that a 4 floor buffer is still required between a workshop and living quarters in order to eliminate noise causing dwarves to become grouchy? How much does these really effect their mood?).
workshop and barrack training produce no noises. Danger room, digging, cave in, siege engines, workshop construction does, up to 16 tiles.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 09:48:50 pm by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.